Power supply - BigW lights

gerry

Senior elf
Hello,

On almost all of the posts that I have read on this topic, a 27V PSU (similar to first link below) was used and then wound up to 29V or greater. Mostly used in conjunction with rays 27ch controller.

Is there a reason why a 31V PSU was not/should not be used instead (second link below) ? Ray said it could be adjusted from 29.5V to 32.5V

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/AC-DC-Switching-Power-Supply-with-85-to-265V-Input-Voltage-27V-350W-output-CE-approved/701799_431656111.htmlhttp://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/31V-350W-Switch-mode-power-supply-AC90-260V-input/701799_846178043.htmlRegards

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
The only reason the lower voltage supply might be used in preference is because it is better to start low and wind up to the required voltage. If the power supply won't wind down far enough it becomes useless as too high a voltage can destroy your lights whereas too low a voltage will simply leave your lights being a bit duller than they should be.

gerry

Senior elf
Thanks Alan,

Understood !

I thought that I had seen posts from Eddy etc indicating that it had to be > 30V anyway to work, but also saw posts from others indicating a lower voltage was being used.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I use my Big W lights on 30V. I've seen others run theirs at 31 - 33V, but I reckon 30V is already brighter than they were with the original controller and transformer. I would expect that pushing them too hard (higher voltage) will reduce their life.

gerry

Senior elf
Thanks David, Will go for the 27V one then. Met ruprect on the weekend and he showed me how easy it was , so will give it a stab . Was putting in an order to Ray anyway.

scamper

Dedicated elf
This is 3 strings hooked up through a 27 channel controller on a 27v power supply.
they work fine and super bright, so I wouldn't bother with a higher voltage.

Attachments

• IMG_4278.JPG
    IMG_4278.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 36

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
One thing I forgot to mention is that some of the straight blue or white strings may not work as well on too much less than 30V. This is due to the different Vf ratings on the LEDs.

scamper

Dedicated elf
The other reason I went the 27v is that the 27ch controller is listed as 5-24v. so running a little higher at 27v is better than going all out at 30v. even though I believe it will take it, Why tempt fate ???

franky_888

Full time elf
Should have asked this question myself a week ago it seems. I've pulled the trigger on 2 x 30v supplies for my BigW strings.

I guess I can report on the lifetime of my strings after a couple of years

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
franky_888 said:
Should have asked this question myself a week ago it seems. I've pulled the trigger on 2 x 30v supplies for my BigW strings.

I guess I can report on the lifetime of my strings after a couple of years

You should be able to dial the voltage down a little bit so you might be able to get closer to 27 volts, just turn the little dial down whilst taking the volt readings and you should be able to lower it by at least 1 volt.

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Mine run at 30-3V and there is far more damage done to the lights by the weather than the voltage . At best I get 4 years out of a set and it is not due to excessive voltage

anon

Apprentice elf
A bit of a thread mine, but thought this would be valuable for those wanting to power Big W strings cheaply from existing DC power supplies.

I'm using a "150W DC-DC Boost Converter 10-32V to 12-35V 6A Step Up Voltage Charger Power". Search for the term on ebay, they're about $7.

$_12.JPG

I power it all from one of my 12VDC meanwells, and set to about 30V through the Ray Wu 27Ch controller. It's running 3x 20m W-White, 1x 20m Red, 2x 20m Multi, 1x 20m Blue, 2x 8m W-White icicles.