Power Supply boxes in direct sunlight

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Has anyone put their DC power supplies inside suitable vented/waterproof boxes, then mounted them in direct sunlight - like say on top of your colourbond house roof?
I'm planning on putting a matrix on my roof and it's going to draw 65A @ 5V, so I have a little dilemma as to if it's worth spending the extra money on longer DC power cables or not.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
A fair portion of my controllers get direct sunlight including 1 that is on top of my carports iron roof but under the eaves of my house. It gets direct sunlight for about an hour before sunset and often has an ambient temp of >40 degrees before it is powered up. All of my controller boxes are conservatively rated (except 1) and as a result have and need next to no ventilation. 1 of the links on my signature file shows the way most of my boxes are put together. If you are exceeding about 50% of the rated output of power supplies then you need to think seriously about forced ventilation.

aussiexmas

Sinnamon Lights
I have several 'meter box' setups which include power supplies and LOR boards which are mounted inside my fence. They are exposed to direct sun for several hours each day and get too hot to hold your hand on. Once the season starts, I leave these powered 24/7. My power supplies include temperature controlled fans, and during the day, these usually run. Two of the boxes are painted dark green which was done to blend into a garden when I first started, but now makes them get hotter than the unpainted boxes.

I have had no problems or failures in several years operation.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
My display i use 2 boxes located on the roof facing the western sun and on black tiles, I have not had an issue in 4 years. remember your running your lights at night so sunlight wont be an issue.
Last year was the first year i decided to actually add ventilation to them

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Thanks guys that's exactly what I wanted to hear :) Was just worried I might start cooking caps or something in the PSU otherwise. Might be able to mount the PSU enclosure under a near by solar panel too; but will have to check clearances on that.