Power Supply for Lytworx lights

wilkie

New elf
Hi Guys,

Just curious what power supplies people use to power the Bunnings/kmart lights to run in a dc controller. This year is my first year chopping up a heap of strings and connecting them to Allan's DMX2-18 controllers.

Do you buy a new 31v power supply to power the dimmer and light strings or just cut off the original power supply/mfc and do the bypass mods to make it output constant DC voltage and use that to power the dc controller and light strings.

I am thinking 1 original led string power supply wont have enough to power multiple strings

Thanks

Adrian

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Most people use a "350W" 27V power supply adjusted up to around 30V - 31V. You can use a much smaller one if you don't have all that many strings to control.

videoman3857

Full time elf
You use a switching Power supply Unit to power the board(s).
The boards in turn switches / dims the power to the lights.
You just need to search E-bay or Aliexpress.
There are different brands and different quality units out there and getting 31 volt may be an issue.
most are 5, 12 and 24 volts, thought there may be some 27, 36 and 48 volt units around - but are harder to source.
You can get a 36 volt unit and with the voltage regulating dial, adjust it down by about 10% which will bring you down around the 33 volt mark.
If you can source a 27 volt unit, then you can adjust up to around 29 volts.

Ellis

Naughty Elf
Speaking from experience using the same setup last year, I'd get the 36v PSU.

With the 31v I used last year I got a fair bit of power loss in the lengths of cable I ran resulting in some ropelights being dimmer than others.
If you have a model closer to the controller you can always use a longer cable to drop the power if needed.

I cut up cheap extension leads last year for cables.