Power supply for Lytworx low voltage cafe lights

adrianweller

New elf
Hi,
New to this forum. I stumbled on this searching for information about where I can find replacement power blocks for the above lights.
This forum looks very active and full of expertise!
I have 2 strings of the above cafe lights, purchased from Bunnings.
We have recently moved and the power blocks have been lost in the move.
Wondering what I can replace them with?
Even if I can get replacements? I’ll try Bunnings tomorrow, but I’m thinking I might be able to power them with another solution.
Has anyone got any info on what I might be able to do?
Cheers, Adrian.

Attachments

• 7CA6BAEB-4003-417C-895E-B892672F76CE.jpeg
    7CA6BAEB-4003-417C-895E-B892672F76CE.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 799C863F-2CB4-429E-9F36-C4FBD6E4910E.jpeg
    799C863F-2CB4-429E-9F36-C4FBD6E4910E.jpeg
    467.4 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: AAH

i13

Dedicated elf
It is common for members of this forum to replace the plugpacks with other controllers so that the lights can be timed with music. It's quite possible that someone could have some spare plugpacks. I might even have some.

Do you know the required voltage, wattage and whether the lights had any built-in blinking functions? These details are commonly printed on the box, a tag on the lead-in wire and/or a little piece of paper in the box with warnings etc. I'm referring to the specifications of the entire string of lights, not the individual LEDs within it.

Approximately where are you located? I'm in Canberra with a plan to visit the mini in Sydney later this month: https://auschristmaslighting.com/threads/13565/

Last edited:

adrianweller

New elf
Hi,
We are in South Australia.
I’ll pop into Bunnings and look up the technical details. Sounds like I might be able to buy some sort of controller to plug them into?

i13

Dedicated elf
Yes, there are controllers that you can plug these into but I get the impression that you just want to light these up without computer control. Computer control would involve cutting off the plug that you pictured. Regardless of whether you want computer control, it would help to know the technical details of the light sets. I think these lights are steady on and they never had any blinking functions. If so, you should be able to connect them to a power supply of the correct voltage. I recommend knowing the correct current draw for the sets of lights and adjusting the power supply's voltage or adding a resistor so that the current draw is correct. A slight increase in voltage can cause a large increase in current and too much current will kill the LEDs.

I now realise that you don't have the original box anymore and the voltage, current and/or wattage isn't specified on the strings of lights themselves. It is unfortunately possible that the manufacturer could change the specifications of the light sets and still sell them as the same product.

I visit South Australia (Adelaide) approximately once per year but if I have suitable plugpacks, I am happy to post them. There's a chance that someone nearby might have some.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I could have a dozen or so of them. They are fairly generally 31V and often about 6W. It will quite possibly even have a tag on the cable. The Bunnings product page for them says that they are 24V but I'd actually check the packaging and/or cable marking.
As of yesterday I actually have extension leads for these lights as well. They haven't made it onto my site as yet.
If you do ever want to computer control them for Xmas lights my DMX2-18 or the forthcoming DMX2-24 allow computer controlled dimming of them.

i13

Dedicated elf
The DMX2-18 or DMX2-24 would be the most suitable options only if this type of light set originally had blinking functions built in. Looking at the packaging, I suspect that it doesn't. If it doesn't then you'd want to use a regular DC controller; there are plenty of options.

You won't need the original plugpacks if you want to run these with computer control.

Johnboyducati

New elf
I want to know if anyone has opened the Lytworx power unit on the Christmas lights from Bunnings being 31 DC Volts output as I want to remove the AC part of it and directly add 31 DC Volt into the controller but I don't know where to solder the 31 DC voltage into the unit. The large circuit is AC the smaller circuit is DC.

If anyone can help as I am an accountant retired not an electrics guy

Attachments

• Lytworx Controller.jpg
    Lytworx Controller.jpg
    719.5 KB · Views: 7