Power Supply Ventilation

dqhall

New elf
I've recently mounted and tested my J1Sys board in a Orbit box. So now the question I have for others is, should I consider ventilation? As suggested by FastEddy, I used two 350W power supplies to drive the board and I'm concerned about heating. I live in Las Vegas and the winter desert does get cold.

Here is what the box looks like.

P12RBox.jpg

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Very nice looking setup.
But with the 2 power supplies it does look tight. It really depends on how much load you will be putting on the power supplies. i would do some testing to see if the heat build up is too much, if thats the case then look at adding some form of ventilation.

Madko

Full time elf
Looks good! My only concern would be the power supplies mounted so close together, even touching. i would be worried about heat build up. As Eddy suggests, do your testing. Some ventilation would be required, so the fans can get some fresh air. I would also consider having an air gap between the 2 supplies.
I also have 2 power supplies supplying 1 controller but each power supply is in separate enclosures with ventilation. I like this way personally.

Anyway, do more heat testing and let us know how it goes!

penguineer

Full time elf
I'm another vote for seperating the PSUs somehow.....

I can't remember wether those fans are intake or exhaust, either way, it would appear that airflow for the top PSU is extremely restricted and the exhaust(hot) air would end up being recirculated, tight contact between the two PSUs could result in heat being transferred between the cases.

If the fans are exhaust, the bottom PSU will blow hot air over the controller board.

Again - the effect of heat really depends on how hard the lights are being driven.......

Cheers!

rvenegas

Apprentice elf
I Would use a fresh air supply to avoid air reciclying. of course we must use some protection to avoid bugs get inside of the enclosure and make a nest just next to our preciosus Light controller.
Also, if budget allow it i would use a second enclosure for the 2nd. PSU. Bear in mind that you will use lights for one month and you will use your controllers and PSU next year, so take care of them.

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
im one to seperate the psu's also. adding a vent to the outside world with some bug protection would definately be beneficial.

RayKob

New elf
Crazy suggestion for venting this thing, drill holes in the front cover as close to the top as possible at around 45degrees them glue window screening material over the internal front door to prevent the criters from entering. Drill another hole or two at the bottom again glue some screen material for bug prevention. The hole size is up to you but not to big, this give you some ventilation as the heat escapes the top and draws in the bottom.