Problem Running Test Sequence on Pixels

Max Kabilafkas

Apprentice elf
I have set up a test sequence with two windows but can't seem to figure out why the second window (on the right) won't light up.

Each window has 100 12v pixels and I have connected them together with that black lead cable. I haven't used any power injection (though I will eventually) as I am just testing how the program interacts with the pixels. I don't think that's the issue, but let me know if you disagree.

1630709094860.png

I am running a simple sequence that turns the left window on, then the right, and then both at the same time. The left turns on fine, but the right won't light up.

1630709235951.png

1630709276453.png

I have played around with the cable and LEDs and can confirm that all the cables work and the LED's on the right window will light up when I test them by themselves.

Here is my controller setup and the visualizer to show that the two strings should follow on from each other

1630709365025.png

1630709387494.png

I'm guessing that there is some nuance to the setup that I don't understand. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
I am not familiar with your controller, but does it have a web interface?
Are you able to break things down and work through it piece by piece - can you run a test pattern from your controller and get light?

What is your complete config? FPP / Controller?

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
if you connect the right window to the controller first using that long lead does it still light up? That might help rule out a cabling issue, otherwise follow advise above and maybe run check sequence in xlights to see if there are any setup issues.

Max Kabilafkas

Apprentice elf
I am using a Pixlite 16MkII from Advatek. It has it own application for testing. When using that I get the same issue where the first window will light up but not the second.

When I connect the right window to the controller directly via the long cable it runs fine. Which is why I think it is something to do with my setup in xLights. Just have no idea what though

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
has it own application for testing. When using that I get the same issue
Without getting this part right first, you are no chance of getting any further (unless there is an output limitation by default like the Falcons have).

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
So regardless how you have it connected and only 1 window working, it appears your controller is only set for certain number of pixel output, you ned to increase this

Max Kabilafkas

Apprentice elf
So turn out not doing power injection for the second string was the problem. I added it in and it works now.

christmasdave

Full time elf
So turn out not doing power injection for the second string was the problem. I added it in and it works now.
That's interesting. I'm using an Advatek Pixlite 16 (not the MkII), but can easily light up 200 pixels (2x string of 100 12v connected together) without any power injection..?

djgra79

Global moderator
Generous elf
Great that you got it working but i'm curious, not a single pixel lit up with out the power injection? Was the end of the first window string looking a different colour? Just seems a bit odd that at least a first few would not light up at all, I'd have expected some to be bad colours due to insufficient voltage.

Max Kabilafkas

Apprentice elf
Yep, none of the second window turned on at all until I did the power injection. I also thought I would see a drop off in colour hence why I originally thought it wouldn't be an issue when I first set it up. I'm using regulated rather than resistor 12v pixels. Maybe it has something to do with that?

Grozzy

Oh great, the idiot's back
Yep, none of the second window turned on at all until I did the power injection. I also thought I would see a drop off in colour hence why I originally thought it wouldn't be an issue when I first set it up. I'm using regulated rather than resistor 12v pixels. Maybe it has something to do with that?
Sounds like there is something wrong at your connection between the two windows with a break in the wire/joint/pin. By injecting you have just bypassed it and effectively powered the 2nd window.

Reactions: i13

TANSA

Sparky with Blinky Lights ;-)
Generous elf
Check the advatek settings
If you used upload it may not work.
Use a spreadsheet to map the props, copy what is in the visualiser
Use advanced mode and setup each port