Problems with possibly different brand of LED strip LPD6803 Chipset

dgm5186

New elf
Hello gang, I am new here but have a question for some of the techies on here who are familiar with LPD6803 chipset RGB strip lighting and the E681 16 channel controller. I cannot seem to get anything to light up strip wise. I have the E681 all lit up with the correct power lights and it set to output for LPD 6803 chips.

However I think I have a different variation of LPD6803 RGB strip lighting though as on the input side I have four copper tabs. The four input tabs are labeled Di, Ci, St, Li. The strip that Ray Wu sells which I am sure is compatible with the E681 is labeled +V, GND, Ci, Di. So my question is... will I be able to get my strip to work or is the coding different? Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!

DAn

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
As long as you get the connections right, it should work. I have the pinout for your strip in the wiki here.

If you have hooked it up incorrectly (except for data and clock transposed), the first chip in the strip will be damaged.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I have been playing with this strip all week and one thing I noticed with the strip im using is that the output and input markings are the wrong way around, so its actually the input which is marked as output. I dont use the markings as the input side is always 1 LED then the IC then 2 LEDs and then the output. Also i have found that the first pixel can be easily damaged if you connect it up incorrectly and the rest of the strip will just light up randomly and stay on. If its the same strip then this may be your issue

dgm5186

New elf
I don't think the strip is damaged in any way since I have a goofy controller that came with the strip and it is lighting it up correctly. It is only when I hook it up to the E681 that it does not light up at all. I do not think I have damaged the first chip. I'm gonna take a look at that wiki.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I'm not 100% certain, but I *thought* I read somewhere (on DIYC?) that there may be issues with the E680 / E681 driving some pixels or strips. I seem to recall something about the data and clock voltage from those boards being 3.3V (not 5V) and it was borderline in some cases.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I am using a E680 controller. Its making me wonder whats going on with this strip type you have as there was another member using the same type of strip with the same markings that he couldnt get going with a CCR controller

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Just checked. The logic threshold issue seems to relate to the E680. There is talk of it on the DIYC starting about 3/4 the way down this page.

It may not be your problem, but I thought it worth mentioning in case someone else has the issue and sees this thread.

dgm5186

New elf
Just got the strip working thanks to that wiki page. The black and red wires which I assumed were +V and GRND were actually reversed on this strip. So the black wire was +V and the red wire was ground. Weird. I also had the clock and data lines screwed up. I am amazed I didn't fry the strip with all my wiring mishaps. It is working just fine now. Thanks guys!

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Asian manufacturers are notorious for choosing colours at random. You can never assume red is positive and black is negative.