Programmable custom effects

whatthej

New elf
Apologies if it's covered already (I tried searching). Is there a way to program custom effects - not as a gif imported?

I did a program in Arduino that was music responsive (video) and would like to achieve the same effect with xLights. It's effectively a 'single strand' effect with 'chase type' from the middle with colours changing based on dominant frequency, and intensity based on volume.

I see that there is an option for 'Sparkles reflect music', so perhaps a lot of the codebase already exists! Would love to do this effect up!

whatthej

New elf
Thanks! VU meter certainly seems the right thing I'm after. Intensity wave appears to be the right set of effects I'm after. I can't seem to modify the sensitivity though; is that achieved through adding more colours?
Additionally, I have my WS2812bs wired in a wreath shape as per the video; how can I apply a VU meter and single strand effect together, to avoid the left and right pixels from being grouped together as one big group? I've tried to apply VU meter on Wreath>Strand 1 but that didn't work. Even if I remodel it as a poly line it still follows the shape of the circle.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Since watching Keith's presentation last year on buffers, pretty much every time I try a new effect I'll test all the buffer render styles just to see what difference they make. Especially if applying it to a model group, or sub-model. Interesting to see the different effect that just changing the render style can make.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
Since watching Keith's presentation last year on buffers, pretty much every time I try a new effect I'll test all the buffer render styles just to see what difference they make. Especially if applying it to a model group, or sub-model. Interesting to see the different effect that just changing the render style can make.
Absolutely! You can't break anything and I (personally) learn more about the end results when I actually change it and play around within xlights. Keith's explinations are great and explain why and how it happens.