Programming abilities - LSP

What options would you take advantage of, if offered:

• Development of effect plugins in .NET

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Scripting of various features from within LSP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both plugins and scripting.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • Not interesting in programming (although I have the ability)

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I'm not a programmer

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

kane

Dedicated elf
Hey All

I have been liaising with David at LSP regarding the ability to programatically sequence through LSP. Given a lot of people here are technically orientated, I figured that many others are also programmers that could really get some benefit out of this.

Therefore, I thought I'd take a quick poll on what people would be interested in. David mentioned that I'm the only one that has asked about anything like this, but my guess is that there's plenty of others out there that would be keen (but just haven't let him know!)

The option to develop an effect plugin in .NET is already supported in LSP (there is an option to install an effect .DLL), however there is currently no documentation, or sample code, so it's not really possible to get started yet. David has said he'll get some sample code in the next few days, so this will be interesting. My guess is that via an effect plugin, we'll be able to create a new effect in the toolbar, that when applied to channels across given intervals, we can create custom functionality.. Eg, you could write a Mega Tree spinning effect, or an effect that does some tricky work with a custom element.

Another thing that I would like is the ability to script - for any repetitive tasks, if you could setup a script to run certain commands, I think you could save a lot of time. This could be either via LUA or VBA or whatever.

Anyone else got any thoughts or suggestions?

Kane

kane

Dedicated elf
Forgot to mention, I have also been playing with directly modifying the LSP .msq files.

If you're interested in checking the file format out, then all you need to do is gunzip the file, and the resulting file is in XML format.

For myself, I have started writing an app to do a few things. One of the things I've got it doing is a separate "tap mode", to setup timing intervals in LSP (I don't like how the inbuilt tap tools create additional intervals for every tap). In my case, I wanted to setup 1/10th second standard intervals. Then for every tap, I wanted to highlight the closest interval with a particular colour. (eg red for bass, green for piano etc) This reduces the amount of useless intervals.

I've also experimented with inserting effects at certain locations, so the next thing on the list was to build a custom tool to do some nice effects on my RGB lightbox stars (spinning the points etc).. But I might wait to see what is achievable using effect plugins, as that might be a more robust option.

kane

Dedicated elf
Fasteddy said:
i would llove to see an app that can turn channels on and off randomly like vixen has.
I can't see something like that being very difficult at all. Once I get the sample plugin code from David, maybe I'll use that as a demo effect to put together.

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
I'm interested in this.

In this most easiest form, a simple copy & paste ability that transfered CSV encoded channel brightness for each step would be handy. (Channel data on each line, 0-255 brightness data then comma seperated for each step).

Then you could just copy & paste between LSP and anyone's third party effect editor app. - without the hassles of API/plugin/programming language mismatch hassles.

I'm sure Vixen used to do this for me - but it doesn't seem to now??

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
Futher to my previous post, it seems Vixen 2.5 allows copy & paste this way - but Vixen 2.1 (which I was currently using due to output plugin compability) doesn't support the copy/paste function.

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Anything that will add to the toolbox of LSP would be great sequencing is a long drawn out exercise that is fun at the start but it soon becomes tiresome