Push Button Speaker Box with Built in FM Receiver - As presented at the Perth 2023 Mini

aimbrunone

New elf
Ok. Can anyone help? What am I doing wrong? Button works. Relay works. Is led light on relay supposed to always be on if just when music is playing? Also, I’m still getting a popping sound when music starts and ends. Here is a picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Popping when turning off power to an amplifier is common. This is nothing to do with your setup and is due to the way the capacitors in the amp discharge.
The same also can occur at power on. It's unavoidable.

Most hi home theatre amps etc disconnect the speakers really fast to avoid the power off pop. You can hear the relays clicking as the protection kicks in.

Croydon Lights

Full time elf
Generous elf
What about turning the speakers on and off instead of the amplifier
Add a cheap double throw double pole solid state relay to cut the speakers off actviated by the timer contact (NO) and you could then use the other contacts (NC) on the timing relay to turn the LED light on and off when the music is playing
Not saying this is right but another idea at the problem

burnt

Full time elf
another idea is to use a relay and resistor on the volume trim pot to lower the volume.

Johnnyboy

Full time elf
Ok. Can anyone help? What am I doing wrong? Button works. Relay works. Is led light on relay supposed to always be on if just when music is playing? Also, I’m still getting a popping sound when music starts and ends. Here is a picture
Good to see it's working, unfortunately as Skymaster said, the pop is from when the amplifier turns on and off.

I had this issue and i just delt with it last year. This year i will be making some changes to keep the amplifier powered all the time and use relays for the speaker outputs as Croydon suggested using an additional 2 relays.

I'll hopefully have something working in the next week or two and an updated wiring diagram that you can reference. Enjoy the pop for a few more weeks! Additional parts are only about $6 :)

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Honestly - leave the pop there. No one will notice, and those that do will see it as a "hey, the button did something", especially if it's between songs.
Putting a delayed relay on the speakers for power-on means that they wont have sound for a second or two after hitting the button which may be a bit confusing.

Or as mentioned, leave the amp running all the time; that's probably the better option, especially if you power down your show outside of hours anyway. It'll be better for the amp.

aimbrunone

New elf
Thanks so much everyone for the suggestions. Not sure what my next plan will be. I may just leave it for this year. This is my first year doing a show and I’ve already done more in this first year than I originally planned! lol.