Question about the PixLite 16

tmarshal61

New elf
HI,

I am totally new at this so, please pardon me if I ask some silly questions. I just purchased the PixLite 16. I have 20 - 150 pixel 5V WS2812B RGB strips and 3 - 50 pixel 5V strings on order. I plan on creating a 2D mega tree with 12 strings or so and use the others for arches and various other things.

The PixLite 16 has 16 separate outputs and each is capable of controlling 340 pixels so, I could conceivably run all of my lights on just 11 outputs if I run two strips per output. I understand that power injection might be a requirement but, other than that, is there any advantage to spreading the lights across all 16 outputs rather than doubling them up? The major advantage I can see would be that doubling up the strings frees the other outputs for future expansion.

Thanks

kane

Dedicated elf
Yes, that will be fine.

The main advantage of having less pixels per output is that if you get a dead pixel along the way, then you get less pixels go down (as the pixels after this one will usually stop working).

This is more relevant to pixels (especially those that may have dodgy waterproofing), so less likely with strips.

Cheers

Kane

ps - no such thing as a silly question in here (as long as you've done the basic search first and you've read FastEddy's great 101 guide)

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer
That will work fine, the major disadvantage apart from the potential outage of a pixel failure than Kane mentioned would be power injection itself. If you are happy to inject power where required then go for it, and give yourself room for expansion later.