Question about usage of PixLite16's DMX in/out

tmarshal61

New elf
Question:
In addition to an E1.31 ethernet input, the Pixlite16 has a standard DMX in and out. The manual mentions very little about it. I would think that one could use a standard DMX input rather than an E1.31 Ethernet input but what little I did find in the manual about it confuses me. The manual states:

2.1.2 - Control Data
DMX and LAN data are connected via cat5e cable to the internal PixLite 16 controller via the three external female RJ45 sockets exiting out through the centre cable gland. One is for an ethernet LAN connection and the other two are for DMX data in and out and are labelled accordingly. If using the DMX input in addition to ethernet, the last unit in the DMX network chain is recommended to have a 120 ohm termination resistor installed on its DMX output in order to prevent any unwanted signal reflections.

The usage of the phrase "in addition to ethernet" above implies that it is, or at least can be, used in conjunction with Ethernet. What are some possible usage scenarios for using the DMX in/out? Can one use DMX input to the controller with no ethernet? Could you have both as the verbage above implies? How would that work? Can it act as a E1.31 to DMX bridge where we input E1.32 via the Ethernet and output DMX via the DMX out?

The reason I ask is that I would like run some standard DMX512 devices and I am trying to figure out what my options are. Do I need to purchase a E1.31 to DMX bridge or can this be done through the PixLite without a bridge? If I need a bridge, can I run E1.31 to the bridge and then DMX from the bridge to the DMX in on the PixLite16.

Would this be one possible valid configuration?:
PixLite16Config1.jpg

What would be some other possible configurations using DMX?

kane

Dedicated elf
The DMX output on this performs like an e1.31 to dmx bridge - so assuming that you only need one universe (up to 512 channels), then you wouldn't need to also get an e1.31 to dmx bridge

kane

Dedicated elf
Actually, on second thoughts, I had just assumed these ports were the same as other devices (such as the j1sys p12s), which have two dmx ports, but these are both outputs (2 separate universes), effectively giving you a D2.

But having a look at the manual, I don't think this is the case.. I am thinking that the pixlite16 could be configured to receive signals via DMX, so for example, you could setup canned sequences on the device, and trigger these via DMX..

If this is the case, then unfortunately the device wouldn't replace the need for an e1.31 to DMX bridge - you'd still need one.

Might be best for the advatek guys will need to respond to explain this one. :)

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer
The PixLite controller comes with the hardware capability to have a DMX input OR output. There are 2 physical jacks on there so that you could connect the controller in the middle of a normal DMX chain if using the DMX function as an input. So yes, your above diagram is a technically correct posibility.

However although we physically have the DMX input/output there - we haven't programmed any functions for it yet, it is there for future expansion. In the near future we will be adding support for the PixLite to output DMX from that port based on sACN data it receives via ethernet (essentially a single output sACN to DMX bridge).

Our new revision of the controller that we are currently building will have 4 DMX output ports on it allowing for 4 individual universes of DMX output (essential adding the capability of something like a D4 to the PixLite).

So far the applications for implementing the PixLite as a DMX receiver are a bit too limited to warrant implementing but the physical ability will be there should we decide to add something on that front at a later date.

tmarshal61

New elf
So, it sounds like, for the moment, the DMX in/out cannot be used at all? That is not a problem.

Thanks for the information!

Devo

Apprentice elf
Correct.
We will be releasing a firmware upgrade soon for the current board revision (V3.2) to allow a single channel DMX universe output.
The newer V3.3 board will be released soon (with 4 functional DMX universe outputs as mentioned above.)

caffeine

Full time elf
Devo said:
Correct.
We will be releasing a firmware upgrade soon for the current board revision (V3.2) to allow a single channel DMX universe output.
The newer V3.3 board will be released soon (with 4 functional DMX universe outputs as mentioned above.)

Excellent! It's one of those things that sounds like a brilliant little add on. I can't think of what exactly I will use it /need it for but I'm quite certain I'll find something!

Anything else new in the 3.3 board you want to hint at?

EDIT: Actually make it a big reveal/launch at the Melbourne Mini

kane

Dedicated elf
Devo said:

That makes it a pretty feature rich board!

off topic, but do you guys have plans for any boards with less outputs? (ie, equivalent of a P2)

Devo

Apprentice elf
Eddy - yes as has already been previously confirmed, there will also be a self-test feature added in the next firmware update for the PixLite 16.
Kane - yes we think it will be a very powerful and feature-rich controller providing lots of options for users. We have discussed releasing a PixLite 4 controller in time for next season, but it really depends on whether their would be enough demand out there to justify production.

tmarshal61

New elf
Devo said:
Thanks, I will be eagerly awaiting the 3.2 firmware. It is a great controller as is.
...and you can count me in for one of the new 3.3 boards.
Devo said:
yes as has already been previously confirmed, there will also be a self-test feature added in the next firmware update for the PixLite 16.
Excellent! That would have saved me some hassles this season. I was having some issues getting Vixen to behave and I was about to blame it on the PixLite but I swapped out the board with a spare I had and the problem persisted. A self test would have helped me rule out problems with the board much quicker.

kane

Dedicated elf
Devo said:
Kane - yes we think it will be a very powerful and feature-rich controller providing lots of options for users. We have discussed releasing a PixLite 4 controller in time for next season, but it really depends on whether their would be enough demand out there to justify production.

If possible to do 4 output, with 2 (or even 4?) universes per output, for approx $100, I reckon that'd be a massively popular. Whether that's viable is another question!

If you have a feel for what is viable, it's definately worth sounding out everyone here - could probably even take pre-orders to ensure you get enough solid interest to justify production.. A bit like kickstarter?

caffeine

Full time elf
It's interesting actually. Initially I thought I was paying a 'premium' for being able to get my stuff locally and quickly, which I was happy to do.

After digging however and comparing multiple P2's with the PixLite board not so in terms of $'s per universe.

Likewise for my plug and play solution versus a P12 + power + cables + nice waterproof housing + effort.

I too would like to see more Advatek controllers around, and will likely buy them, but I think there is a bigger whole in the market to be filled by them in the 'convenience' arena. Kind of like an RGB version of LOR, except well liked by all :)

Devo

Apprentice elf
Artnet support is in the works yes...it won't be in the very next firmware release, but it is high on our priority list.