Questions about LED panels and light / heat

Qantarus

Year 3 - still keeping it simple
Hey All

Just wondering - for those that use P5/P10 panels in their displays, how do they handle being out in the sun and heat over the 6+ weeks that you have them up?
I am planning on using some in my display but my house faces due north and where the panels would be would get the full extent of the summer sun and heat reflection from my garage door.

Should I cover the panels each night to look after them or is that just going overboard?

darylc

404 darylc not found
some members have had 'indoor' rated panels melt/warp, and others have had bad experiences with lower end outdoor rated panels. Personally I have had good experiences with some outdoor P6 panels I bought. They've done 3 seasons up on the roof so far

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
My indoor P10 panels themselves so far have worked for 4 seasons outside. 1st season they were outside 24/7 but only for about a week as it was a late addition to the display. The timber frame I made has a slight sag to it but the panels themselves are still holding on for dear life.
Since then, the last 3 years I have the matrix on legs in fron tof my garage. It stays in the garage during the day so is not subject to direct light/heat/rain. I then put in place just before showtime at 8pm and it stays there until the following morning where I move it back inside so I can drive my car out to go to work!
The entire matrix is covered in 3mm clear plastic table protector sheet off the roll from Bunnings. Rare occasions there is some condensation in the morning.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
DO NOT use indoor panels... I live in California which is much milder weather in December than Australia. A few 80f+ days caused massive failures of my P5 panels. I now have 80+ P5 panels that are now pretty much worthless.... Outdoor is key from my experience and from people I've talked to. Spend a few extra bucks and buy some decent outdoor panels