Questions about Universes and best addressing practices (F16V2 etc)

Kimbo3000

Apprentice elf
Hey guys and gals,

Well I'm back into the christmas light stuff after having a bit of a break and getting side-tracked by stuff/work etc.

Last Christmas was my first for lights. I started really late and had quite a few annoying problems but got there in the end. So I've got a few questions that I will ask here instead of in chat, so others can also benefit from my lack of knowledge! lol

- On an F16V2 I understand I can have 4 universes on each output for a total of 680 pixels (max). If I have more than 170 pixels on output 1 do I need to specify the pixels 171+ to be on another universe, or can I just use absolute addressing (if thats what its called?) and all the pixels just work?

- If using more than 1 universe per port, on the F16V2, do I HAVE to use virtual strings for the subsequent universes even if they are sequential universe numbers? (ie 500 pixels starting at universe 10.. then pixel 171 to 340 on universe 11 and 341 to 500 on universe 12)

- Is it best to separate elements into their own Universes? Like, candy canes on one universe, arches on another, and mega tree on 2 or 3 (or more) - but nothing else on the remaining nodes of the mega tree universes?

- With the F16V2 I read that the max universes per port is 4, assuming this has something to do with the max pixels being 680 - 170x4=680.. If using less than the max number of pixels per port (physical output), and by use of virtual strings, is it possible to set it up with more than 4 universes on 1 output?

I'm sure I will have more questions later..

Thanks
Kimbo

Kimbo3000

Apprentice elf
keithsw1111 said:
I will be going over most of this in this Friday's call

What time does that happen and is it recorded as I dont know if I'll be able to make it...?

Dabil

New elf
Thank you for asking Kimbo and thank you Keith for doing a session on this. I have been wondering exactly what the best practices were on this as well.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.