Quick question re:Lor driven RGB lights

Jeffk13057

New elf
Hi Guys/gals:

I figured I would come to the definitive experts on RGB and DMX as I try to put the pieces of the puzzle together.
So I'm running LOR S3 to an Enttec USB Dongle. I'm thinking I can run XLR cable from the dongle to one of these:

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209915969-509914025/LT-DMX-2801-DMX-SPI-Decoder-support-WS2801-WS2803-drving-IC.html

as a decoder and then use these RGB strips outlining the roof of my house, obviously injecting the power as usual :

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209843764-516843321/Adjustable-color-temperature-SMD3528-LED-strip-120-leds-M-5Meters-roll-DC12V-input.html

Sorry for such a basic question but I'm hoping the fog is lifting.

Thanks very much in advance for the help. I've learned a lot from you folks already.

Jeff K.
Syracuse, New York

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Jeff

The first link is to a DMX->Pixel (2801) driver, this will accept the DMX as you propose but is used to control WS2801 RGB Pixels.

The second link is for "dumb" led strip, in this link not even RGB, i would assume a wrong link at this time :)

If you want to outline your roof in "dumb" RGB strip you will need a different controller.

If you want to use Pixels then you will need different strip.

Question is... What sort of strip do you want to use?
My guess is dumb strip if it is for outlining.

Cheers
Phil

Jeffk13057

New elf
Thanks a lot for the replies, I appreciate the help.

Two more incredibly basic questions: :p

What is the most popular of the dumb strips that people are using from Ray that is affordable and durable?

and

I have about 200 feet of roofline. I suspect I will be splitting it up somehow, perhaps essentially 100 feet sections or so X2. I have to have a controller on each string, I assume?

Thanks again, appreciate the help.

Jeff K
Syracuse, NY

Slite

Full time elf
Dunno what the most "popular" string is.

But as for question 2:

No, not as long as you inject power every once in a while. You can drive the full 200 feet on 3 channels, as long as you understand that all of it will show the same effect if you use one controller and inject power.

If you want a bit more "control", say for instance you want to have controll of the ridgline and eaves separatley, you need two 3 channel controlers.

For dumb rgb strip, you need three channels for each segment you wish to show the same color/effect etc.

Robbo

Full time elf
my roofline is approx 32 feet, or 10 metres, I'm using 2 strips but am splicing the strips into 3 foot sections so that I have 10 sections of dumb strip along my roofline that I have separate control over, this however takes up 30 channels and am using some of Rays 27 channel controllers to control them

Jeffk13057

New elf
Thanks you guys. Appreciate the help. If anyone happens to come across a link for any of Rays dumb strips could you please let me know?

Thanks again....Jeff K

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Jeffk13057 said:
Thanks a lot for the replies, I appreciate the help.

Two more incredibly basic questions: :p

What is the most popular of the dumb strips that people are using from Ray that is affordable and durable?

With regard to dumb strip everyone has personal favourites, the most common is likely to be.
12V - 30 Leds / Metre - RGB strip with either solid silicon covering or Silicon tube, both being IP67/68.
A 5M length of this can usually be driven from 3 channels of most DC controllers available.

Next would be
12v - 60 Leds / Metre - RGB Strip with covering as above.
This stuff draws TWICE the current due to double the LED's so you generally would split this in half for channel control, a lot consider this overkill for brightness.

I little less common but used is.
24V - 60L/M - RGB
Has the same current requirements as the 12v/30L so can be used in full 5M Lengths

Jeffk13057 said:
and

I have about 200 feet of roofline. I suspect I will be splitting it up somehow, perhaps essentially 100 feet sections or so X2. I have to have a controller on each string, I assume?

Thanks again, appreciate the help.

Jeff K
Syracuse, NY

Now dumb strip can not just have power injected, but you can use what are called RGB amplifiers/repeaters
that can extend the dumb strip over longer lengths, the limit ultimately being the flexible PCB the strip is made of and this may be as low as 5M for the high current strip.
Example http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209915969-293759096/LED-RGB-Amplifier-Aluminunm-version-DC12V-input.html

Assuming 200 feet (60M) that's 12 x 5M lengths, so as one single control section you would use 3ch's from a controller for the first length, then one amplifier for each extension of 5M....

Personally i would just cable each 5M length back to a DC controller and just use 36 channels to drive 12 five metre lengths.

Cheers
Phil

Jeffk13057

New elf
Thanks again. So to use 36 channels (5 meter lengths X12) I would use 5 of those cheap (inexpensive) controllers and essentially have 12 separate strings all programmed the same?

Sorry for the silly questions and thanks for your patience. The videos make sense to me but when I think of how to do it myself I get a headache.

Jk

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
Jeff

No silly questions, and the only dumb question is the one not asked :)

Let's assume 12 sections

Take one DC48 - 48Ch controller
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1183.0.html

Wire 6 sections (18ch) back to one side and the other 6 sections (18ch) back to the other side, thus splitting the current across the board.

This would allow full controll over each section, giving the ability to have chases and different colours for each section.

Caveats apply re total Current.

OR

Use 12 cheap $6 Ray wu DMX 3Ch controllers and drive each section with one of those, you will still use 36 channels in your sequencing software

Cheers
Phil

Jeffk13057

New elf
Thanks Phil. I don't get the sense that AVD ships to the US. am gonna have to look for an equivalent here or go with the Ray Wu controllers.

Thanks very much for the help tonight. Much appreciated.

Jeff K

Jeffk13057

New elf
Hi David.....you must be the AVD guy?Nice to meet you. Thanks for the help. I am going on a little holiday until next week and I will reach out to you Tuesday or so. Thinking I may pick up on of those guys.

Thanks again everyone for all the help. It's starting to make a littlle sense now. ::)

Have a great day.

Jeff K