Quinled users?

Imstevil

New elf
I'm sorry, this has probably been discussed else where but when I search I just see quinled mentioned in passing but not much about people's experience with them. Just wondering if people have used them and what kind of outcome they got from them. I came across quinled as I started using some ESP8266s to play with as I'm just new to this whole scene and have some of those readily available, thought I might make some on a PCB myself and then found the quinled already done.

Started doing some digging and the main people I see talking about them are newer people, or people saying they aren't sure if they can handle their animation speeds, so I'm not sure what the general opinion of them are around here. Looking at the spec sheets they are saying they can handle 1,000 pixels at 33 FPS Unless it's a pretty big tree or matrix I would imagine this isn't toooo bad is it? Without setting them up myself yet I'm not sure what's considered acceptable as far as FPS goes.

I guess the next problem would be how they go on a network when you're running multiple controllers. I am looking at doing this on a rather large house / garden so would be talking maybe 1000 nodes along the gutter line, about 700 nodes along the ridge, maybe 500 for the gables, 1000 for the windows (combined) I'd say maybe 800 along the base of the house if I did that as well. So I would be looking at maybe 4,000 to 5,000 nodes and between and 10 controllers just to frame off the house with no props or anything else. Sounds like most people dislike the idea of doing WiFi in general, but curious to know if anyone has used Quinled before how many pixels they've had total running WiFi

If anyone has any other suggestions as other options I should look into, I'm all ears as well. To say I'm a newbie when it comes to this is an understatement, so happy people to point me in the right direction in any way they can.

Thanks in advance for any pointers anyone may have!

BBQNinja

New elf
While I am still a newbie, I used 6x ESP8266's in my first show (2020). About 1500 LEDs I think. They were on Wi-Fi and while it worked OK and kept the price down, occasionally there was a delay or one would go out of sync, so opted for a hardwired Falcon the next year.

I too have been tossing up whether to get a QuinnLED-Dig-Quad with LAN (which also have Wi-Fi) so I can hardwire my house outline and leave it up all year so I can use the WLED built-in effects and not have to program xlights just to show some lights.

So, sorry no pointers here, as I am also interested in anyone's experience with Dig-Uno/Quad

Cheers.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
People have done it but not too many here to my knowledge. I have some Quinn Dig-Unos and Dig-Quads that I started to use originally. The seemed to work well with a small number of pixels and for testing. I started running into issues when I was trying to sequence with them but this was last year before xLights have any support for it. I've seen wifi be a bit dodgy and just decided to use wires for everything.

I still have them and at some point plan to get around to testing once more but I bought dedicated show controllers so not much of a drive there. I've used them for testing and have had a few hundred lights hooked up to a Quad just for testing lights before.

Dean

Freman

Uh Oh Elf
Generous elf
I did all my original testing and playing with an uno, and they're great cost effective little chips, they're pretty spot on tho with their maximum led recommendations, wouldn't go more than 600 leds per channel, I'm pondering getting a couple of quads to do some permanent lighting myself. I wish they had a passthrough switch tho.

Last edited:

fugley

Apprentice elf
used dig-uno ESP8266 around the house with LED strips for years with a smart home setup in home assistant & hubitat
so with the new QuinLED-ESP32 having an Ethernet port its a know brianer
there cheap small and easy to get a hold of and just work even when packed on every port ... atm on one board 800 plus on each port with problems

using the lastest version of WLED which works nice with xlights ... ESPixelStick was ok but you can clearly see WLED, QuinLED and Xlights have all been talking together so that where i stayed

Martin Mueller

Light Addicted and proud of it.
Generous elf
FYI: Last week I added support for four QuinLED boards for the ESPixelStick V4 software. It will be in the next beta drop.