Radio Transmitters - Legal Power regulations

scamper

Dedicated elf
Max EIRP: 10uW
Why even say you are allowed to transmit in Australia if that is all you are allowed?
A whisper could be heard further than that would transmit! :eek:

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
scamper said:
Why even say you are allowed to transmit in Australia if that is all you are allowed?

Lots of people use good quality transmitters with good quality antennas and 10mw is more than enough.

EDIT: misread the micro/milli difference that David just pointed out.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Kaden said:
scamper said:

Lots of people use good quality transmitters with good quality antennas and 10mw is more than enough.

Note that scamper said 10uW (micro Watt), not 10mW (milli Watt). 10uW is pretty useless. 10mW is much better and shouldn't get you into too much bother with neighbours if you choose the frequency well.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
David_AVD said:
Kaden said:
scamper said:

Note that scamper said 10uW (micro Watt), not 10mW (milli Watt). 10uW is pretty useless. 10mW is much better and shouldn't get you into too much bother with neighbours if you choose the frequency well.

I use a 10mW EDM transmitter with a decent positioned home made J pole antenna and easily get crisp sounding stereo sound for about 300 to 500 metres which is more than enough for my needs.

The main thing is to use the transmitter in a responsible way ensuring you don't transmit over other channels, you don't use it for advertising or run it 24/7, don't use a high wattage transmitter that transmits for miles around you and only run it during the show for the purpose of the show and you will be fine.

greg58

Full time elf
Hey Eddy, I didn't use my transmitter this year, but I did set it up and tested it. To find a frequency not being used, I used my car radio, then set the unit up (99.2) and drove around the block to test. And worked fine for nearly the whole block.
My question, is this the only way to ensure the frequency is not being used locally, is there another way to find out?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
greg58 said:
Hey Eddy, I didn't use my transmitter this year, but I did set it up and tested it. To find a frequency not being used, I used my car radio, then set the unit up (99.2) and drove around the block to test. And worked fine for nearly the whole block.
My question, is this the only way to ensure the frequency is not being used locally, is there another way to find out?

This is the way I did it, do a bit of a drive around to make sure its clear whilst your transmitting should be a sufficient test with a low level transmitter as a car radio is much more sensitive than the average home stereo or clock radio

In some areas there may be night time community radio so its best to test at the times you plan on doing a show.

madmarlon

New elf
Got a visit from the Men in Black today (AMCA), my transmitter was a little over powered for regulations, even though it was only reaching about 5 doors up and down. Got a warning and educated me to stick to 10 Micro Watts! aahhhhhh
Does anyone have any success with Xmas lights displays at this power level. I've elevated a Belkin Tune cast to the top of a tree to try and make work, but it is pathetic, loads of static etc, especially with 1000's of LED's switching about the place. Has anyone gone through getting broadcasting license and exception from copyright for their display?
Thanks
Marlon

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
madmarlon said:
Got a visit from the Men in Black today (AMCA), my transmitter was a little over powered for regulations, even though it was only reaching about 5 doors up and down. Got a warning and educated me to stick to 10 Micro Watts! aahhhhhh
Does anyone have any success with Xmas lights displays at this power level. I've elevated a Belkin Tune cast to the top of a tree to try and make work, but it is pathetic, loads of static etc, especially with 1000's of LED's switching about the place. Has anyone gone through getting broadcasting license and exception from copyright for their display?
Thanks
Marlon

This is one of the first cases of someone in Australia using an FM transmitter for a Christmas show getting a visit from the men in black.
We would like to know the circumstances that led to this visit, were you transmitting during the day, 24/7, were you transmitting over other stations, do you have a disgruntled neighbour, what time did they visit and how close are you to their office.

Most don't have any issues because they only transmit when their show is on at night and ensure its on a clear channel. So someone or something has led them to your door.