Rainbow Flood assembly issue

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
Hi guys
I have an issue with my second rainbow flood that I built. I cant get the blue LEDs 46, 47 & 48 to work. The first flood I built worked no problem at all. I have double checked all my connections and can't seem to find the problem. Can anyone see where I have gone wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_0505.JPG
    IMG_0505.JPG
    275.5 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0506.JPG
    IMG_0506.JPG
    293.6 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0508.JPG
    IMG_0508.JPG
    384.9 KB · Views: 35

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
have you gone back over all the solder joints for that section including all the resistors, sometimes its just a dry solder joint. Otherwise you may have a dodgy LEd in which case contact the seller for a spare

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
What about the resistors, in your picture there appears to be one resistor that doesnt look like its got a good solder joint

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I'd check that the polarity is correct. Without seeing an overlay that'd be my guess. Sticking a meter across the 3 leds in turn when they're meant to be turned on will tell you if 1 is open circuit.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
AAH said:
I'd check that the polarity is correct. Without seeing an overlay that'd be my guess. Sticking a meter across the 3 leds in turn when they're meant to be turned on will tell you if 1 is open circuit.

The polarity seems correct as there is a little cut corner on the LED that shows the correct orientation.

DanoNJ

Full time elf
Looks like LED 14, 15, 16 have incorrect polarity - look at the 'notch'. (unless I'm not seeing it correcly)

rauco

New elf
I've had the same issue when assembling mine, and I bought 8 of them!

I just kept doing trial and error. Typical things - holding up to lights to see any bad connections, applying pressure when lit to see if there's a flash, etc. I also soldered while lit to see what happened. Dangerous, but I was getting desperate.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
DanoNJ said:
Looks like LED 14, 15, 16 have incorrect polarity - look at the 'notch'. (unless I'm not seeing it correcly)

I dare say these are the red LEDs which are orientated differently to the other colours. I know with mine i had to do this as the Red LEDs had the incorrect common marked on the LED or maybe the silkscreen was wrong. So 2 years ago that was the case but was surprised to see it still like that unless the silksceen is actually marked that way now.

magii

Apprentice elf
The latest generation has an updated silk screen that has a correction to deal with the reverse polarity of the Red Superflux LEDs. It appears to be assembled correctly. I've had this issue on mine before (on red instead of blue) and it was a bad/loose resistor. I replaced it with a new one from ratshack and it's been good to go since.

ponddude

Apprentice elf
If anyone ever has any issues with any of our resistor or LEDs or board, please open up a support ticket on our site so we can get you the replacement parts you need. There is no need for you to have to replace the stuff as we stand behind your work completely. We will also replace your defective items without question.

Also, like Don pointed out, our troubleshooting document really can help you narrow down where the issue is.

http://www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com/

Also remember that if you contact us I don't always associate a forum name with an email/real name. Don't take offense if I don't put two and two together...especially if you talk to Jeff too ;)

Greg

Christmas on Clarafield

Full time elf
Thanks to everyone for their help. After going through everything and following through the troubleshoot download (thanks Don & Greg) I checked everything and as everything was working I redid that section and finally success.
I now have two complete floods in their housing and just waiting for me to get a chance to photo/video them in use.