Rainbow Wall Wash - Current issue

cenote

Suburbs of Philadelphia
EDIT: HUGE MISTAKE......ERROR in meter readings. Have deleted and edit the new readings. Was using a cheaper meter, and was not working properly. Got my Fluke back running, and whoops....sorry

Re-tested Rainbow Flood from Ponddude....first findings

I assembled so the resistors were not tied into the common bus threw the board, so I could test individual banks of LED's. I used his resistors as instructed. Findings:

Input voltage (new transformer) :) = 12v DC

Red's - 38mA w/ his 180 ohm
Green's - 48mA w/ his 47 ohm
Blue's - 58mA w/ his 47 ohm

With modified resistors:

Reds now have 240ohm = 24.1 mA
- Much Much better balance on the color, not as bright, but won't burn up as fast :D

Greens now have 68 ohm = 25.2 mA
Blues now have 82 ohm = 24.8 mA

budude

Way behind schedule - again...
cenote said:
Red's with resistor 38mA
Reds with CC - 21mA
---Noticably difference on color output between the two. CC were more uniform and brighter
Green w/resistor 4mA
Green w/cc - 20 mA
---Again, Greens were twice as bright
Blue w/resistor 4mA
Blue w/cc - 20mA
----same result, blues much brighter

Can this be right? The reds would blow up within seconds at 38mA and I don't think the Green or Blue would even turn on at 4mA? I have Greg's Rainbow Flood and they are very bright and I'm guessing they are the same LEDs. I haven't measured the current through them however but might do so now.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
budude said:
Can this be right? The reds would blow up within seconds at 38mA and I don't think the Green or Blue would even turn on at 4mA? I have Greg's Rainbow Flood and they are very bright and I'm guessing they are the same LEDs. I haven't measured the current through them however but might do so now.

Yes very much so, highly unlikely 38mA would blow up the Reds, i have run 20mA leds at 50mA and they continue to work.
As for the low end, a LED wil start to glow as low as 0.1mA or lower for high efficiency leds, at 4mA they may be close to half visual brightness.

Cheers
Phil

budude

AussiePhil said:
budude said:

Yes very much so, highly unlikely 38mA would blow up the Reds, i have run 20mA leds at 50mA and they continue to work.
As for the low end, a LED wil start to glow as low as 0.1mA or lower for high efficiency leds, at 4mA they may be close to half visual brightness.

Cheers
Phil

Well - - more to the point - Greg was so far off on his design that they run at those levels? dunno - just saying perhaps do a double check of the readings...

cenote

Suburbs of Philadelphia
budude said:
Well - - more to the point - Greg was so far off on his design that they run at those levels? dunno - just saying perhaps do a double check of the readings...

No worries, going to re test tonight after work....I was out of rum :D

ron

Apprentice elf
What's the CL-25 you are referring to? I should probably remember as I've heard it discussed before but I can't pull it out of the old memory bank today.

Ron

cenote

Suburbs of Philadelphia
ron said:
What's the CL-25 you are referring to? I should probably remember as I've heard it discussed before but I can't pull it out of the old memory bank today.

Ron

CL25n3-G's---there .40 from mouser. Fit rate in place of the resistors.

cenote

Suburbs of Philadelphia
Have bench test a Rainbow Wall Runner light with fully installed CL-25's constant current IC in place of resistors, and have no problems after burning for 6 hrs straight. Still will able to touch the CC's with out burning or finger :)

ron

Apprentice elf
I don't suppose you could take a picture and share it with us as to what your setup on these looks like?

Thanks

cenote

Suburbs of Philadelphia
Finally updated my 12v power supply, no longer using the one that only put out a little over 11.5
re tested mA, and there a little off, will be updating values in a few hrs.

Edit: Values Updated: Enjoy

budude

I checked my Rainbow Floods and found the Reds to be running at ~33mA. I haven't checked the Blue or Green yet (a bit afraid to at this point...). I posted on Greg's site about that and he indicated that these are 30mA LEDs so even with that they are running a bit hot. I'll check the Blue and Green today. The RFs have 3x6 (18) paths so it would be costly to add CC to these.

cenote

Suburbs of Philadelphia
budude said:
I checked my Rainbow Floods and found the Reds to be running at ~33mA. I haven't checked the Blue or Green yet (a bit afraid to at this point...). I posted on Greg's site about that and he indicated that these are 30mA LEDs so even with that they are running a bit hot. I'll check the Blue and Green today. The RFs have 3x6 (18) paths so it would be costly to add CC to these.

Really a little confused...I rechecked mine last night, and still was getting high 50'sma on the reds with his resistors @ 12v.

budude

You have the Wall Wash though and not the Flood (at least the picture is not the Flood)?