Ray can do custom spacing?

mararunr

Here to learn! (and share)
3505 NW Edgewood Ave, Bentonville Arkansas, USA
I thought Ray could do custom spacing (or even custom pieces). On my 5th order with Ray I thought I would try it out and it has been a disaster. I requested the ProForma on 18 Feb and the strings I got this weekend are still wrong. I sent clearly labeled pictures of what spacing I wanted in certain spots and then the rest of the string was supposed to be the standard 100mm spacing (white bullet type). He got the certain spots close enough but the standard spacing part he did at 80mm (majority of the string) - they're useless. Anybody else having trouble with Ray lately?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The issue is that you requested different spacing within the same string and this is what would have confused them. ray will do custom spacing but generally that is for the whole string.
The more complicated you make it the more chance of things going wrong due to misunderstanding and communication issues which is not uncommon with many Chinese vendors regardless of what they are selling, if its not the same or similar to what they are use to then they will assume and get it wrong in most cases and this is what appears to have happened here.
Its unfortunate that even with pictures they still didnt get it right

mborg10

Michael Borg
I ordered custom spaced pixels from Ray and although they came with correct spacing the quality was a disaster. You do get what you pay for and the language barrier between English and Chinese can sometimes stand in the way as well.

bdt

Apprentice elf
I’ve bought a lot of lights from Ray that are not for my Christmas display. My last 4 or so orders have been custom orders. In every order about ½ the lights were wrong and the quality was well below par. I received an order today, the panel lights I ordered that are supposed to be 12v are not and the quality is disappointing. I have to keep telling myself Ray’s lights are for the DIY’er not the plug n play guy.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
I've seen this same post on three different forums.

Personally I have seen spacing = wire length between pixels, if you take 10mm each end for termination then an effective spacing of 80mm results for a 100mm nominal wire length for bullet nodes. change to flat pixels and you get an effective spacing around 115mm.

you have to be aware of these things with custom spacing and specify node to node spacing minimums or wire connection lengths.

mborg10

Michael Borg
mararunr said:
In the end, as he always does, Ray did make it right (at no expense to me for the additional shipment).
Although sometimes his stuff can be hit and miss, he is a business man and there is a reason why most people on ACL use Ray Wu.