Ray Wu 10W floods

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I'm sure this is discussed here somewhere so sorry if reduplicating but can't find exactly what i am after in other post
I bought some of these Ray Wu 10w 12v floods and they have the three pin metal DMX connectors and a red and black wire.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/10W-RGB-DMX-flood-light-DC12V-input/701799_550394253.html

I just want to connect them to one of my existing DMX boards from AVD. All my other dumb RGB stuff has the power lead and then the RGB leads connected to 4 core pigtails. So do I just cut of one of the metal 3 pin connectors and solder on one of 13.5mm 4 core plastic pigtails with the red power lead added in? What do i do with the black lead and can I just not use the other metal DMX connector if I'm not daisy chaining them?
Make sense? :eek:

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Two of the wires from the XLR connector (pins 2 & 3) are the DMX signal. Pin 1 is power -ve.

Do you want to use a 4 pin connector to supply the 12V and DMX signal?

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I don't necessarily need to use a 4 pin. I can use one of my three pin ones. I am used to connecting 4 leads to the board - power, red,green, blue.
With the flood, this is where my confusion lies - how do i wire the flood to the DMX board - it seems to have so many wires and plugs.

kane

Dedicated elf
logandc99 said:
I don't necessarily need to use a 4 pin. I can use one of my three pin ones. I am used to connecting 4 leads to the board - power, red,green, blue.
With the flood, this is where my confusion lies - how do i wire the flood to the DMX board - it seems to have so many wires and plugs.
Looks like you're confusing these floods with a "dumb" flood that has a common, plus wires for red, green and blue.

The floods you have bought have an inbuilt DMX controller (which I suppose would mean you could call them "smart") So you don't need to use a DC controller (such as David's 48/24 channel boards) to control it.

Instead, you connect the +ve and -ve supplies of the flood to your power supply. You then connect the three DMX wires (+ve, -ve and Ground) to your DMX signal.. The DMX supply could be direct from a USB-DMX Dongle, or from an output of a DR4/D4/D2 etc. Or, because DMX can be daisy-chained, they can be connected to the DMX "out" from another device (such as David's boards)...
(keeping in mind that those floods don't actually have a specific DMX IN and an OUT - they're connected to each other)

If you want to daisy chain multiple 10W floods, you need to ensure that each is programmed with a different starting address (they may be pre-programmed for you, in which case they'll have a label on the back with their start channel).. If they're set with the same DMX address, then they won't be able to controlled individually.

Hope this makes sense!!

Kane

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Thanks Kane,
That does make perfect sense. I was confusing them with dumb RGB ( or perhaps it's me that's dumb :). ).

JPB

Full time elf
Is the DMX address of these set via DIP switches?

I made a mighty mini clone last year and added a Ray Wu DMX controller and was thinking of making another couple for this year. This might be an easier solution.

Jon

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
JPB said:
Is the DMX address of these set via DIP switches?

I made a mighty mini clone last year and added a Ray Wu DMX controller and was thinking of making another couple for this year. This might be an easier solution.

Jon
No they do not have dip switches, they require a programmer.
There is a thread here on programming them.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Mine came preprogrammed from 1 through 12 but I think you can get Ray to preprogramme them with whatever numbers you want. I just forgot to ask him to do so.

JPB

Full time elf
Thanks for the info. I will keep that it mind that I will need to specify the start address in the order ( if I order ).

Jon

logandc99

Dedicated elf
So Kane and David,
I understand now that these floods are stand alone DMX devices, I'm just trying to work out the easiest way to connect them to one of my DC24 boards ( as in daisy chaining them).
As the DMX boards I have ( from AVD) have Ethernet type in and out for daisy chaining, does this mean I need to cut off one of the three pin metal plugs and wire the three wires into a cat5 cable so I connect to my DC24?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Ah, when you said "connect to the AVD board" I assumed you meant chaining off the DMX connector, not to the DC outputs of it!

Yes, you can cut a CAT5 lead up and join that into the flood's DMX connections.

XLR pin 1 goes to RJ45 pins 7 & 8
XLR pin 2 goes to RJ45 pin 2
XLR pin 3 goes to RJ45 pin 1

More info available in the ACL wiki.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Sorry for more dumb questions but can I expect that when I cut the plug off, I'll get three different coloured wires and do certain colours correspond to the certain PIN numbers as a standard.
Should I be hooking them as per the picture I just found in another thread that you posted http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,3143.msg28709.html

And if so, and I correct in assuming from that thread that you were supplying the 12v power to the spot by also wiring the spots' red power in lead into the cat5 cable therefore providing the power via the daisy chain connection from a DC24 board and therefore not requiring a separate power cable to be run direct from the power supply?

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Or maybe I've got the last bit wrong i.e. there is no power coming out though the DC15's DMX out and I still have to run a separate power lead to the spot?

kane

Dedicated elf
logandc99 said:
Sorry for more dumb questions but can I expect that when I cut the plug off, I'll get three different coloured wires and do certain colours correspond to the certain PIN numbers as a standard.
Should I be hooking them as per the picture I just found in another thread that you posted http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,3143.msg28709.html

And if so, and I correct in assuming from that thread that you were supplying the 12v power to the spot by also wiring the spots' red power in lead into the cat5 cable therefore providing the power via the daisy chain connection from a DC24 board and therefore not requiring a separate power cable to be run direct from the power supply?

No, there is definitely no standard for the colours.. In fact, out of the 12-13 floods I have from ray, there's a least two different colour schemes used (maybe 3)..

You'll want to check out the pinouts from the wiki to ensure that when you cut off the XLR connector, you can work out which wire is which. Worst case scenario, if you open the back of the 10w flood, the little DMX controller inside usually has a label on it detailing which coloured cables are for what.

And regarding power - in the interests of not confusing things, you'll definitely want to run separate power cable - you don't get power from the DC24.

The way I have my floods setup, I have a single 10A cable that runs to the first flood, and daisy chains to each of the others - I installed waterproof 2-core female connectors on this 10A cable where I needed it, and connected the 2-core male connectors to each of the floods.. I then did the same for the DMX signal - using 3-core connectors - each of my floods have a male and a female 3-core plug on them (one for dmx-in, the other for dmx-out). The start of the DMX signal cable has a converter to RJ45 to connect to my DR4.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Ok, so I will follow what you did with the two core pigtails for power and also replace the metal plugs with the 3 core pigtails I've got.
As far as working out which coloured wire equals which pinout on the flood, I presume i should dismantle the XLR plug to see how they are connected.
Thanks for all the help