Ray Wu 5V 6803 pixel modules

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I received a couple of sets of pixels from Ray the other day. Each pixel is 5V, has a single 8mm LED and uses a 6803 IC.

The colour order is RGB and they are really the same contents as a standard 6803 pixel, but in a flat based package with the input and output wires at opposite sides.

The sealing around the wires seems better than a lot of the "single ended" pixels, but I haven't tried them for water resistance.

I have added the wiring colours to the wiki:

wiki-asset

View: https://auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/File:LPD6803_string2-jpg

Gordon Lights

New elf
I received a bunch of those from Ray this past week too. Though I like the concept behind the way the LED is mounted, the material used is very pliable, not rigid. I am able to easily pull back the seal from around the LED itself. If it was made from the right material this would be my preferred mount type for many situations.
Perhaps my biggest dissappointment, however, is that on these LEDs, RED plus GREEN = LIME, not the yellow I expected and get from most every other LED. I need to drop the green output to 140 (out of 255) to get something close to yellow.
Fabian

dmoore

Senior elf
Gordon Lights said:
Perhaps my biggest dissappointment, however, is that on these LEDs, RED plus GREEN = LIME, not the yellow I expected and get from most every other LED. I need to drop the green output to 140 (out of 255) to get something close to yellow.
Fabian

This is where per-channel calibration in software comes in handy!

Gordon Lights

New elf
There's no reason the product couldn't be better, and certainly more consistent, quality out of the box. Opening up a bin of light strings and setting them up shouldn't require having to tweak the settings of every string, It also means that replacing individual pixels in a string is, well, not feasible.

JonB256

Full time elf
Sounds like the Software Folks (which excludes me) need to come up with a DMX512 color calibrator that would at least give you curves and values for colors like White and Yellow and Cyan and Magenta. (Red, Green and Blue generally take care of themselves).

I would think a Smartphone could handle it, since it already has the camera.