Ray Wu Power Injection t pieces

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
As part of the gear I bought second hand I got a lot of the pigtail power injection t pieces. They have 3 pin plugs on all points of the tee. I thought this was odd as the power injection point only needs two cables. So I thought that the data cable on the data injection point must not be connected to anything.

So I tested it. I hooked some pixels up to the output plug and the power injection plug and turned on the test signal. All pixels came on. How does this work. I gather the data cable just splits at the junction and goes both ways. So does this mean that each arm of the tee would get the same data passed on from that point. I'm not worried as when I power inject I will only use two wires and the data cable will never be involved but I was just wondering if this could be used as a way to split the signal and control two lines of pixels if for some reason you wanted them to be exactly the same.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Tooms. So what does this mean for the data signal if you happened to hook pixels up to the 2 downstream branches of the tee. Would exactly the same data got to both branches or would crazy things happen with random portions of data ending up on either line.

JPB

Full time elf
The data comes in on one side of the top of the T and goes out the other side, with the power being injected from the base of the T. Yes the base of the T will be receiving data but dont connect any pixels to it.

When a pixel receives the data string it strips off the first three channels of data and then send the rest of the string out to the next pixel and so on down the string. If, you use the T piece as a splitter, the same data is being sent out both arms of the T and the strings connected will be copies of each other, but I dont recommend you do this as it may end up stressing the output of the previous pixel as it is now required to provide twice the current.

Jon

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks for the reply Jon. Exactly what I wanted to know.