Ray Wu WS2811 Alternative?

yzguy96

Full time elf
Hi,
I ordered more 2811 strips from Ray Wu but seems my package has been stuck in Narita customs for a week and cant get a hold of anyone to clear it. I need to order 2811 strips or my display is in jeopardy. Is there an alternative website or supplier? I also need 10mm silicon end caps or clips. What do you guys use to waterproof the 2811 strips after cutting them? If there is another solution then using end caps then please share cause I need to start my cutting and soddering. I thought about just filling it with silicone but seems messy and not 100% sound. :)

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
i have been using heatshrink with silicone inside it (i squeeze some silicone in it then heat up the shrink and crimp it at the end.

Thats just my method, im sure there are much better ones

mick8248

Full time elf
I use the silicon end caps, held in place with a good squeeze of silicon. Seams to stop water egress well.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I use clear 12mm heat shrink and then inject non corrossive, neutral cure silicone in before shrinking the heat shrink. Has worked perfectly for 3 years. Also great for joins.

yzguy96

Full time elf
what size heat shrink do you use for waterproofing the pigtails? should i just buy a little kit with multiple sizes?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
yzguy96 said:
what size heat shrink do you use for waterproofing the pigtails? should i just buy a little kit with multiple sizes?

I use 12mm (for 2811 strip) for both the ends, joins and pigtails and inject with silicone. make sure you shrink the heat shrink from the open end back to the strip as this helps force the silicone into the silicone cover for a perfect seal.

yzguy96

Full time elf
so heat shrink and a little silicon is enough to seal and protect the joins? do you put tape over it or something on the exposed wires?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
This may sound obvious, but always use "neutral cure" silicone for this. The acidic cure one will eat away at wiring.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
yzguy96 said:
OK didn't think about it...I just bought a premium outdoor silicon caulk.

I mentioned this back in my first post, I maybe should have mentioned the reason for using it

ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
I use clear 12mm heat shrink and then inject non corrossive, neutral cure silicone in before shrinking the heat shrink. Has worked perfectly for 3 years. Also great for joins.

yzguy96

Full time elf
OK I don't see it but some online says ge silicone ii is neutral cure?