Ray Wu's meteor (snow) tubes

Greg Young

New elf
seymourlights said:
Has anyone else bought these from him? Any comments good or bad?

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209888808-307637691/5pcs-LED-Meteor-Light-100cm-long-each-piece-120leds-piece-connected-by-6m-long-T-type.html

It looks like the speed is not adjustable. Is it around snowfall tube type of speed?

He's a reliable guy....
I would check with him as to whether the 12 volt power supply is fully weatherproof.
Some of the supplies he sells are not, in which case you will simply have to enclose it in a weatherproof container.. no big deal.
The price is very good.
The other option you might want to consider is we are seeing pixel based snowfall tubes coming out. They cost more, but you can have a variety of effects and colors, as opposed to just a "meteor" trail of a single color..
Greg

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
You mean to say that there was no issue with the PSU at all, Just plug it in?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
SuperMan said:
You mean to say that there was no issue with the PSU at all, Just plug it in?

The plug pack does have USA pins, but they kindly included the required USA - AU adapter. How good is that! LOL

In reality, I'd probably not use the included power supply. One has a rattle and I'm sure running them on a better 12V supply would be the way to go.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
These meteor tubes ran flawlessly for about 4 hours each night for the last month. Just tested them when I pulled them from the tree and all good.

As I was putting them up, I did notice that about half of the clear tubes were not tight in the top moulding, but a drop of super glue to each fixed that.

One concern I had (after experience with the Kmart ones) was water ingress. All these tubes are still perfectly dry inside with no signs of water ingress or internal condensation.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
these look great and for the price they sound like a good buy. now just need to think how i would use them

shiner

New elf
I have used similar 20cm tubes in my show for the past two years and viewers rave about them as a favorite element. When putting mine away this year, I did see condensation buildup and oxidation on the contacts, so I need to dry mine and seal them.

I will be looking to buy these from Ray this year.