Ray's New P2811 Pixel Icicles

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Wondering if anyone has purchased a set of Ray's 2811 pixel icicles and what sort of results/ issues there may be with voltage drop?

Bevo

Let your Light Shine before men
I have some coming over at the moment. So I am curious to know if anyone else has used these yet and had any issues.

cjaqua

New elf
Just received confirmation mine shipped. Anyone get a chance to test theirs yet to see if we will be power injecting every 60 or 120 nodes?

richardd

Full time elf
I'm still waiting on mines to arrive but I had him make them 345 345 345 345 345 345 345 so I have 84 node to a string since they are 12V I should be able to run all 84 without power injections. With 84 nodes 2 strings will make just short of a full universe

cjaqua

New elf
richardd said:
I'm still waiting on mines to arrive but I had him make them 345 345 345 345 345 345 345 so I have 84 node to a string since they are 12V I should be able to run all 84 without power injections. With 84 nodes 2 strings will make just short of a full universe

Nice. You plan on running each 84 node string directly from the controller to eliminate the need for power injection?

richardd

Full time elf
I have my strings made with extra 2 pin pigtail on the input for power injection of the strings by ray or ben so if I need to do the power injection I can easily do the injections

prof

Apprentice elf
I have a few sets of these now. So here is some feedback on my initial experience with them.

From a construction point of view, there were no DOA pixels, but I did find a number of pixels that were not completely filled with epoxy - and there were even a couple with the top few mm of the board exposed. Have filled these with silicone to hopefully waterproof them.
On a couple of the strings, the nut on the male plug was a P.I.T.A to slide along the body of the plug to be able to tighten it onto the next string. (It required a fair amount of force to do so).

On the power rating of the string, I found that they were actually running at around 44 Watts and not the 30W as advertised on Rays site. (60 pixels).

Prof

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
prof said:
On the power rating of the string, I found that they were actually running at around 44 Watts and not the 30W as advertised on Rays site. (60 pixels).

That is something people will have to watch out for when designing their power system for these as one could easily overload the cables or power supply if using the stated specs when connecting lots of these up

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
prof said:

Prof

It depends on where you are reading the specs from on http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/individually-LED-full-color-Icicles-string-DC12V-WS2811-controlled-all-white-wire-IP68-60nodes-set/701799_32310871722.html

It says Wattage:25W, max power:30W/set and also says each led is 0.24W.
Doing the maths it works out the each led (red, green and blue) is set to a current of 20mA. The total theoretically wattage then works out to 60 nodes x 12V x 3 leds x 20mA = 43.2W

With 12V running these nodes the Northerners won't have to worry about ice forming on them as they should be fairly warm. Voltage drop certainly shouldn't be an issue either.