1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Ray's Pixicles

Discussion in 'RGB Lights - Intelligent Pixels and 3-Channel RGB' started by logandc99, Jun 22, 2015.

1. logandc99

logandc99 Dedicated Elf

Find Me On:
    The pixicles from Ray have arrived[emoji3]
    Now it's time to have a play.

Attached Files:

2. AussieDoug

AussieDoug Full Time Elf

Always good when they turn up on a day when you can play with them. Much better then turning up middle of the work week when you have no time.

3. OP
    OP
    logandc99

logandc99 Dedicated Elf

Find Me On:
    That's for sure [emoji3]
    Short video of them working. Sorry about the video but it was a quick sling up in the roof and get them going

https://vimeo.com/131385053

4. Boof63

Boof63 Senior Elf Generous Elf

can you post a link pls, how long are they??
    cheers Boof63

5. OP
    OP
    logandc99

logandc99 Dedicated Elf

Find Me On:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/individually-LED-full-color-Icicles-string-DC12V-WS2811-controlled-all-white-wire-IP68-60nodes-set/32310871722.html

I'll measure them also

6. OP
    OP
    logandc99

logandc99 Dedicated Elf

Find Me On:
    There is a 2m lead to first drop. Then distance from 1st to last drop is 2.65m. (2.7m if you really stretch the thing). Comes with plugs at each end.

Attached Files:

7. Kitman

Kitman Full Time Elf

I need these in my life lol exactly what I want to use to replace my existing icicles. It says he can make custom sizes, might have to work out what the maximum length a string could be before voltage becomes an issue and of course before the output of a controller reaches it's maximum and then order some, If of course I am allowed to lol.

8. arw01

arw01 Full Time Elf

I am hoping to go 42 feet myself and backfeed them 12v, I can do that now with a 30leds a meter strip and with the 12v back feed it's good to go.

9. Kitman

Kitman Full Time Elf

I am guessing that you are back feeding with the same power supply that you are using from the main feed, must be using some nice gauge wires to back feed at 42 feet.

I was thinking of keeping it a little more simple at the moment I have 4 strings of 5 meter icicles with 250 LED's per string if I was to divide each string in half and have pixicles made up that match my icicles and run 1 controller between 2 pixicles one string running left from the controller and the other running right from the controller I shouldn't need to back feed power (fingers crossed) then I would need 4 small controllers and power supplies to run it all and keep it neat.

Might work still need to do some more maths rough in my head at the moment hahaha.

10. richardd

richardd Full Time Elf

I like the light and need to replace my icicles. I was thinking and want to know your thoughts of the following pattern.

345 345 345 345 345 345 345 = 84 nodes 2 strings would make one universes Do you think at 12 volts I can get across all 84 nodes without power injection or would be be better to have them as 4 strings 2 345 345 345 345 and 2 345 345 345 so I can inject between each string.

11. OP
    OP
    logandc99

logandc99 Dedicated Elf

Find Me On:
    Maybe I have misunderstood your question but I easily run 100 nodes off 12v without power injection for mini trees. I only power inject at the end now because I have my stars on the top of the trees and the power is not quite enough for those. However I don't use White a lot for long and don't get too worried about a slight variation in white at the ends of the 100 nodes. I would've thought 84 nodes would be fine.

This picture is two sets of the pixicles connected together with no extra power injection. That's 120 nodes.

Attached Files:

12. mborg10

mborg10 Michael Borg

I have pushed it to 120 nodes for my gutter line and they ran no problem without power injection on 12v

13. madmaxisback

madmaxisback New Elf

Thanks for the info on these guys! I am getting some to test for next year so I will let you know how they go in the Perth heat! Cheers

14. starzen

starzen New Elf

Find Me On:
    i am planning on getting pixel icicles for next year as well

i was wondering about the sequencing.

Would be a lot easier to order them with the same number pixels on each drop? So you can simply make a horizontal matrix?

15. gnarmstr

gnarmstr Full Time Elf

I would think that you could do a lot more then 120 nodes before injecting power as icicles positive and negitive run across the top and therefor each drop is technically getting injected. I have mine in strips but haven't connected up and done testing but I was thinking I should get up to 300 nodes, as long as the power supply has the current to supply. 300 node icicle is still less distance then a 100 node string.