Ray's Pixicles

i13

Dedicated elf
The voltage drop also depends on the current flowing through the wire and not just the length/thickness of the wire itself. The pixicles have more nodes drawing more current than a string would over that distance. The pixicles should therefore need injection points closer together compared to the strings.

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
i13 said:
The voltage drop also depends on the current flowing through the wire and not just the length/thickness of the wire itself. The pixicles have more nodes drawing more current than a string would over that distance. The pixicles should therefore need injection points closer together compared to the strings.
if you have a look at the configuration of the strings each drop is actually power injected at each point so i dont know if this being the configuration that power injection becomes a problem

Attachments

• icicles.jpg
    icicles.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 28

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Hi
i did some rough calcs and I estimate that the voltage drop at the end of a length of rays icicles (approx 3m) is about the same as a length of single nodes 10cm apart and 40 nodes or 4m long

assuming that the wire is the same size in both and that the icicles only have a 20cm lead on the input.

E&OE :D
cheers
Fing

i13

Dedicated elf
I didn't word that very well. There will probably be more individual nodes between each injection point with the pixicles. Each pixicle drop will draw more current than the single nodes in a string. This should mean your injection points will still need to be physically closer together along the main cable compared to the string.

I haven't measured this; it is just my prediction based on how voltage drop works. Fing's prediction is consistent with mine.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
When I ran these just on all white I got nice white with no pink with 120 nodes connected together so it looked good for not needing power injection for 120 nodes. However, when I ran a sequence, I got the strings getting stuck at different times which only went away if I injected power between the two strings. Not entirely sure why this happened but there seemed to be a difference between running them steady ON compared to sending lots of data to them in a quick changing sequence. This was running them from a f16v2 controller.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I used this one that has two core in the middle for power injection.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/3-core-T-type-waterproof-splitter-the-middle-is-2core-BLACK-color-the-male-connect-s/701799_1707253215.html