Recommendation and confirmation about RGB Module

petek157

New elf
Hello,

I have learned that people that work with lighting decorations are really nice people that are very active in there hobby/craft.

I have just started learning RGB so forgive me if I sound uneducated on the topic.

I am getting into this madness of holiday decoration via controller. I also own a business. I want to be able to use the items that I buy for decorating, for my business the times of the year that are none holidays.

My question is if I wanted to put RGB modules on the back of solid wood letters that spell out my store name to give that halo effect would these be sufficient to do so?
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209889132-291746166/Waterproof-SMD-LED-Module-3pcs-5050-SMD-LED-RGB-color-.html

Also If I wanted total control over the colors and effects of the lighting for each letter could I use the lights above and go from LOR S3 software, to a LOR DC controller, then to one letter which may have 3 - 5 pixels on it. And repeat this for each letter?

What Im tring to do is have the sign be a bit more engaging then just a plain sign. For example have the light chase from one letter to the next, or just change colors now and then etc.

I am a learner by doer, so what I am trying to do is get confirmation that this would be a feasible way of doing this, then buy enough to just practice and learn before I buy multiple DC controllers and 100 modules.

Let me know what you guys think. I appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
Pete

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Hi Pete and welcome to ACL. :)

You could use those modules and a DC controller to do what you want. You'd also need a LOR USB dongle to connect the DC board to the PC.

I believe that the LOR controllers can load a simple sequence from the LOR software and then play on their own. That would save having the PC running just to run the shop sign.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
If your looking for a halo effect then the rectangular modules may be a better fit for you http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209889132-423204013/promotion-5050-SMD-RGB-LED-module-DC12V-input-waterproof-20pcs-a-string.html

This LOR DC controller will be able to run without a PC connected and would be a great option for your signage requirements
http://store.lightorama.com/cmdedcca2.html

Depending on how many letters you have will depend on how many controllers you may require as each letter will require 3 channels (1 for red, 1 for green and 1 for blue)

petek157

New elf
Just like the LOR forum, I am very impressed with the fast responses.

Ok, I am happy I was on the right track. How about this Tiger DMX Controller? http://www.tigerdmx.com/tigerdmx48hc.php and where do you buy these, trying to find a price and all I can find are info pages no prices.

I would have to buy less controllers, but again correct me if Im wrong but I would have to get a iDMX 1000 DMX controller to sync with my LOR system.

The thing that I like about the LOR controller is that it can be directed using the Showtime director that I have on the way.

Thanks again,

Pete

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The tiger DMX is no longer available but there is another DC48 available from David_AVD. The issue is that this controller is a DMX controller and will not work with your showtime director unless you spend up big on an IDMX1000 ($259). In the end you are better just getting a couple of the LOR DC boards, it will work out cheaper than getting the idmx1000 and a 48 channel DC board and also give you less headaches.

petek157

New elf
With these rectangle modules when you buy them individually, I assume you just solider the wires together to link more then one? Also I'm guessing that I can add lengths of wire between them if they are not going right next to each other.

Can I get the wire right from Ray Wu also? or I supple just as easy to pick it up from the hardware store.

I thing that I am going to order a handful of them and a controller from LOR so I can start playing / learning. I learn much better by doing then reading.

Thanks for any input.

Pete

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
These modules usually come in a string of 20 modules connected together with approx 100mm gap (this does vary slightly) But you can easily cut them and join wire in between to extend the distance. I use 4 core 14/020 security cable as its only about $50 for a 100 metre roll. If you link 2 x 20 strings together you may need to inject extra power between the module strings to stop the second string from looking dim due to voltage drop.

Good luck with ordering your controller from LOR, If your in Australia you may have supply issues which may stop the controller from arriving in time, there are alternatives that will arrive much faster if you live in Australia.

petek157

New elf
Thanks for the info FastEddy.

I am in the US. I looked to find out how to put that in my profile but can't find it.

I ordered a few of the sets that you recommended above and a controller from LOR. Hopefully it doesn't take too long. I have plenty to do till they get here. This is my first shot at controlled decorations and I am starting late and am learning as I go so things that will take an hour once I get it figured out will probably take a day now.

Thanks again
Pete

petek157

New elf
My modules just came in. I had this power source laying around. Will it work to power one line at a time to test the strips? and once my DC controller comes in from LOR will I be able to use this to power all of the channels on the controller. Thanks for any input.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 15

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The power supply you have is rated at 13.8 volt which is for automotive equipment. The lights you have are 12vdc. So if you were to run your lights with this power supply they will work, be it a bit brighter but the life of these will be diminished due to the extra current that will be drawn when running at 13.8 volts. So I would recommend a 12vdc power supply instead of the one that you are using, old computer power supplies work well but i use this from ray

petek157

New elf
Does it change your recommendation knowing that there will be 30+' runs between the power and the first light? After Christmas when I use these lights for my store sign there will be 4 or 5 30+' runs going to the first light.

Thanks,
Pete

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
What counts here is the voltage at the input to the lights. If the runs create a voltage drop at the LEDs to be around the 12 - 12.5 vDC mark then there would be no issue. But as you are using these for a sign and these will be on and used much more than just for christmas i would try to keep the voltage at the light input as close to 12vdc so the life of the LEDs is not diminished.

This is one of the reason LEDs last a lot longer using constant current power sources, The LED is a current device and is bound by Ohms law so if the voltage goes up then the current will also increase. But by using constant current the current draw is maintained at the optimum levels even if there are some variations in the voltage. These modules use a current limiting resistor instead to control the current so its the voltage that will determine the current draw in the LEDs as the current resistor is rated to run for a 12vdc application