Recommendations for FM transmitter

coopz05

Apprentice elf
I need an FM transmitter for my first display this year.

What are peoples recommendations for me? what do you use?

I don't want one that requires any soldering or assembly.

It needs to reach 25m+ and through a window (but I don't think the window would hinder the signal much anyway)

Please send some links if you have them.

Thanks in advance

coopz05

Apprentice elf
Do they have to built assembled?

Do parts just click together? anything harder than that or soldering required is a but sketchy for me. Im a newbie to this stuff.

Does it come with AU power cord?

Do you have one you want to sell maybe?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
They come as a simple 'KIT' which means putting the IC into the socket and maybe soldering on the mains power lead to the cannon plug for the power supply and thats it

I cant remember if it came with AU plug but a simple 12vdc power supply does the trick

I like mine too much to part with it

Ask Ryan (ryanschristmaslights) who got one not too long ago and had the same concerns you did.

kane

Dedicated elf
InTheSpirit said:
Do they have to built assembled?

Do parts just click together? anything harder than that or soldering required is a but sketchy for me. Im a newbie to this stuff.

Does it come with AU power cord?

Do you have one you want to sell maybe?

The EDM kits come 99% assembled - they just need the 12v power input socket soldered on. (I'm not 100% sure why they do that - perhaps some countries don't allow FM transmitters to be imported, which they can get around by selling as a "kit").. It's a VERY easy job to solder, but if you're frightened off, then I'd go for another option.

Many people here use the cheap ebay ones, with varying levels of satisfaction. Those are generally plug and play.

I doubt anyone would have an EDM device spare..

(I also use an EDM device, and it works well)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Kane said:
The EDM kits come 99% assembled - they just need the 12v power input socket soldered on. (I'm not 100% sure why they do that - perhaps some countries don't allow FM transmitters to be imported, which they can get around by selling as a "kit").. It's a VERY easy job to solder, but if you're frightened off, then I'd go for another option.

It is done for that exact reason because the transmitter can output with more power than what most countries allow without a license

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
The EDM unit (at least the LCD-CS-EP) comes 'assembled' in the enclosure, minus the 2.1mm power input socket. This has to be soldered in three places to complete the unit.

I managed put the jack on OK - it is a teeny bit wonky (my fault) but works just fine. It isn't sold 100% completed so it can be regarded as a "kit" (less restrictions on importing in some countries - specifically the US I think?).

The EDM is pretty flexible - with 1-10mW (low mode) and 2-100mW (high mode) adjustable power outputs. Unlike the chinese ebay units with toggle 100/500mW you can adjust it anywhere between the lower and upper limits using a slot-head screw driver. There's also the ability to adjust the gain (volume) up/down (one for left & one for right audio).

One thing to note is that the EDM included power supply is the US type. It is electrically compatible with our mains power (240v 50hz) but has the wrong shaped prongs. I found that I could not connect it safely to an adapter due to it being loose, so I used a different 12v regulated DC power supply from an old modem (one idea was to just duct tape it but I didn't do this).

For a bit of a laugh:
xmas11 attack of the duct tape monster.mp4

PS: Eddy, the IC comes preinserted now (or at least did with mine).

coopz05

Apprentice elf
Hmmm still seems a bit concerning for me.

Anyone want to part with theirs and I'll pay the full price amount on the website for it and you can order another one brand new for yourself?

cozbert

Full time elf
If you are worried, get yourself one of the ebay ones. The audio is fine for what we do and they are cheap enough to replace when you feel that you need to later

coopz05

Apprentice elf
Cozbert, do you have a link for one that you would recommend?

I dont want to buy some cheap dodgy thing that does do what we need for this type of stuff.

Can you send me a link for what eBay transmitter you would buy if you had to get one from eBay?

cozbert

Full time elf
I have one of the ebay ones, when i get home and have access to a pc i will post up a link.

Habbosrus

Back again
I bought one of these off ebay
[font=.HelveticaNeueUI]http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/100mW-500mW-Power-adj-76-108Mhz-Home-FM-TRANSMITTER-/330577986499?pt=AU_Electronics_Radio_Equipment&hash=item4cf7fbc3c3&_uhb=1[/font]
[font=.HelveticaNeueUI][/size][/font]