I’m looking at something like this with 40 balls

Attachments

• 32B7D498-B826-4C9B-B8D6-3AE4F28C1A04.jpeg
    32B7D498-B826-4C9B-B8D6-3AE4F28C1A04.jpeg
    557.6 KB · Views: 16

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
I used the led modules like the ones @MD389 used. Best thing is they fit to existing screw holes. But I guess if you have leftover other pixels they'll work too, you just might have more obvious "hot spots".
I have noticed that my balls have gone a bit orangey/brown after 6+ months in the sun, but doesn't effect brightness or colour at night.

jamesski

Apprentice elf
Picked up some reject shop solar balls today. Tried one and two pixels. Think I’ll stick with one pixel as will hide pixel easier and still looks good.

Thinking of using a $2 eBay pixel tester and simple 240-12v transformer and use in back garden thru out the year and will use at Xmas in display.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/m48k2olcz6koxg5/Video 5-2-19, 7 08 10 pm.mov?dl=0

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Just make sure you measure the no-load voltage on the power supply to make sure it's not significantly higher than 12V.

drakky

Senior elf
has anyone couple spare of these ? I'm trying to do an outline of the driveway with them and I think I'm going to be about 2 short , although I'll take more if if you have them for spares , willing to paying postage etc

darylc

404 darylc not found
Worst case I can probably bring a few to the Sydney mini if you dont find a better option, but I'm not willing to post them.

drakky

Senior elf
Worst case I can probably bring a few to the Sydney mini if you dont find a better option, but I'm not willing to post them.
where are you at Daryl ? I'm actually on the border nsw and qld

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Today I noticed that TRS have a 4 pack of wall mount solar balls for $10 in their catalogue.

I've not seem them in person, but it looks like the same ball and base so should suit the same 42mm pixel module?

Anyway, I thought these may be an interesting alternative.
solar-ball-fence.jpg

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I just had to go buy a set. Also got a bunch of tinsel and bows for $0.25 each !

The pack contains what appears to be 4 of the same type of solar balls as the single ones. It also has 4 wall mount brackets. The spacing between the mounting holes in the base of the ball is 47.5mm approx.

solar-ball-fence2.jpg