Removing Glue From Tint Tubes

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I've just cut a bunch of tint tubes to use with my updated hanging tube lights.

What are people using to clean the strip of glue residue (left from the tint film) from the tubes?

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Don't know about tint tubes, but I've used "Orange Power Spot & Goo Remover" on various other products including pvc
Available at woolies, coles bunnings etc here's the woolies listing

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I tried some of that on a small section of one tube and it worked well, but the residue some of the another tubes seems more stubborn.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
We had some Mr Sheen (yellow can) at work so I gave it a try.

It was certainly the least offensive (to my hands and nose) solution, but still required some elbow grease.

Overall it was a success and I now have 12 tint tube lights updated with pixel rings and new tubes. :)

scamper

Dedicated elf
I just use crc or wd40. Spray on and let it soak then wipe it off. For thick or stubborn areas, you may need to run a scraper along it, but it basically turns it to goo.

bpratt

Senior elf
Shellite was something we used back in my supermarket days when we used stick on pricing labels. We used them to not only get the labels off, but to also clean out the price marking guns mechanics.

Petrol works too, but isn't safe.

mrgrtt123

New elf
I used an Acetone Nail Polish remover and so far it works in getting rid of the glue from the tint tube.