Replacement Controller

Paul65

New elf
Hi Paul here - newbie to all things CL. Last year we hung a nice 12v led light 'ceiling' in our veranda - permanent installation. This year it died. In my innocence I tried bypassing the controller, i.e took it out of the circuit - that worked but only half the lights now function. The controller (pictured) was a Ningbo Golden Electronic Company Model GP-LC-1 6-36v DC (1-2) x 0.3amp max. Can anyone tell me where I can buy a replacement? ps had some great fun with my 15yo cutting it open to see what's what - but electronic circuitry is beyond us both. Thanks Paul
LightController.jpg

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Can you provide any photos of what's inside so we may be able to help fix it?

I doubt it will be a product readily sold without being a huge shipment from Alibaba.
This year it died. In my innocence I tried bypassing the controller, i.e took it out of the circuit - that worked but only half the lights now function.
You've likely got a 2-wire multifunction controller. They switch positive and negative really fast to create affects between every second LED.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joTsFopWAHY

Image this video below:
The 1st, 3rd and other odd number LEDs along the string of lights works when power is applied in one direction. The 2nd, 4th and other even number LEDs light when power is applied in the opposite direction.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjo7t_U59tY

I don't think you're willing to; but @AAH sells a controller which handles these types of lights. Its more designed for synchronising lights to music than standalone.

Otherwise this could be an opportunity learn a little bit about Arduino. You're lucky this is 12v, most like this are 31v.
You could take a 12v motor control H bridge and have the Arduino switch its power really fast so the lights appear static.
I can think of many ways to drive an H bridge at high frequency, but I don't want to confuse you.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Did the controller have just 2 wires in and 2 wires out ?

How many LEDs in the string? (I'm assuming a string)

What rating is the power supply?

tuct

New elf
Works like a charm! thanks a lot for the tip guys!

I "had" the same controller and it went bad as well.
I used a LD293D as H-Bridge with the original 31V DV power supply and an ESP8266 (i can now control the leds via WIFI ;))

Code:
#include <Arduino.h>
// LD293 connections
int enA = D4; //high
int in1 = D3;
int in2 = D2;

void generateAC();
void setup() {
  Serial.begin(115200);
    // Set all the motor control pins to outputs
    pinMode(enA, OUTPUT); //connected to en1 of the LD293

pinMode(in1, OUTPUT); //connected to in1
    pinMode(in2, OUTPUT); //connected to in2

//i use OUT1 & OUT2 of the LD293 to drive the leds.
  //disable at start
    digitalWrite(in1, LOW);
    digitalWrite(in2, LOW);
  // set brightness
  analogWrite(enA, 32);

}

void loop() {
    generateAC();
}

void generateAC() {
    // Turn on motor A & B
    digitalWrite(in1, HIGH);
    digitalWrite(in2, LOW);
    delay(1);
    // Now change motor directions
    digitalWrite(in1, LOW);
    digitalWrite(in2, HIGH);
    delay(1);

}

tuct

New elf
Ah mine had 2 wire in and 2 wires out, a lot of leds (20m+)