Replacement power supply for CCR

dannyp

Full time elf
I have had a few CCR power supplies die on me. Can anyone recommend a good replacement? The CCR manual says it is

12 VDC 3amp power barrel centre positive. The supplied low voltage adapter provides 12vdc @ 3 amps

many thanks

dannyp

Full time elf
Sorry guys but I should also have asked whether you would suggest 1 power supply per CCR or can I run multiple CCRs of the 1 power supply with some sort of splitter?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
We sell a 12V 3.3A switchmode power supply (Mean Well brand) for $38.50 if that helps.

You should also be able to use one larger supply to power multiple CCR controllers.

dannyp

Full time elf
Am I right in saying that one of these mean well power packs will only service 1 CCR as it requires 3amps? Or is there a bigger power pack to service multiple CCRs?

Slite

Full time elf
I think Dave just used that as an example for a 3.3 amp version that is closest to the CCR original.

He is selling Mean Well 12 power supplies up to 25 amps on his site, that could run a bunch of CCR's

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
For a bunch of my CCR controllers I just cut the power pack off and run from a 12VDC 350 watt power supply using the old cut off cannon plug

dannyp

Full time elf
Thank you all. Looks like this is the way to go. When you cut off the power packs, do you just twist all the connections together and hook them up directly to the power supply or is there some better way of doing it?

many thanks

kane

Dedicated elf
DannyP said:
Thank you all. Looks like this is the way to go. When you cut off the power packs, do you just twist all the connections together and hook them up directly to the power supply or is there some better way of doing it?
Depends where your power supplies are in relation to the CCR.

Myself, I keep all my power supplies centrally, and run cables out to my various items, which means the only place I have 240v is in my garage. I then have waterproof connectors on the end of a cable, and the opposite connector on the item, to allow quick connection and disconnection.

Others prefer to have a de-centralised approach with power supplies scattered throughout the yard.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I take on a cetralized, distributed approach, which means I have 4 areas on my property/house where I have control stations that i then distribute all my lighting from. I do this for 2 reasons, to minimise low voltage cable runs for both cost and reducing voltage loss.

I have 3 CCRs just with the power packs cut off and just twisted the wires together and connected to the power supply. Not much easier way than that