1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Replacing Scary china bay transformer with something low voltage?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies' started by MichaelF5, Nov 23, 2016.

1. MichaelF5

MichaelF5 New Elf

So, while putting a somewhat safer plug and removing the scary extension plug which is all 240v from a Chinabay light set I had the thought that maybe the whole string that actually runs the fairy lights is 240v?

surely they would not do that?

I have the EK-04 thing 8 function blah, any idea of an easy way to find the running voltage?

just want to throw something like a 24v plug pack of whatever will get it running

2. David_AVD

David_AVD Bite my shiny metal ass!

Find Me On:
    Cheap Chinese lights that run straight on mains voltage are common on eBay and AliExpress.

They are usually poor construction, somewhat dangerous to even handle while powered and should be binned.

Unless they come with a plugpack (that you can replace with something safer) you're probably out of luck.

3. OP
    OP
    MichaelF5

MichaelF5 New Elf

what I'm considering is that I don't really need the full length of these, so I might see if I can cut them down to shorter lengths and then throw them on 48v power supplie (s)

the Resistors are 300 Ohm in series with each LED

4. David_AVD

David_AVD Bite my shiny metal ass!

Find Me On:
    They sound like the crappy mains versions. The ones I saw has wires and insulation way thinner than I'd be comfortable using at high (lethal) voltages.

5. OP
    OP
    MichaelF5

MichaelF5 New Elf

if you reduce the number of LED's in series you reduce in required input voltage though, so you can bring it down to somewhat within the insulation's capabilities?

6. i13

i13 Senior Elf

This thread might help but yeah you're right. Don't plug them in without using a decent quality low voltage transformer.
    https://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1887.0.html

7. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    You definitely want to either reduce the voltage used by cutting them down or not use them. If you do plan to use them as they are then make sure your RCD in your switch board is in good working order (many people never check their RCD to see if it trips) and never turn your lights on when its raining. Also place them so people cant handle them as kids always have a tendency to want to pull and tug on light strings

8. uppitt

uppitt Apprentice Elf

Find Me On:
    those crappy lights from China that run on mains 240V, they are deadly dangerous. Simply not worth the risk. In my early days when I started buying lights, I bought some, and was almost electrocuted from a set when it blew up in my hands when I realised it was 240V on the wire, and it's sooooo thin.