RGB 2811 strips and signal issues

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
yzguy96 said:
ok do you think i may need one for that long of a run? it was working before but dont know if something introduced a new data issue. cat5 is good to use for data outdoors in this application?

It can't hurt to add one, cat5 is a fine for outdoors, all my sACN controllers are outside so I have network cables running along the ground to them.

As Mick suggested, try lowering your data rate to see if that fixes it, 2811's data rate can go pretty low and still be fine (one of mine is running at 1750kbps - although the refresh rate suffers slightly)

yzguy96

Full time elf
i lowered it a little down to 2600..i am hesitant to put a null pixel cause it will sit on my roof where snow and water will cover it...I bought the end caps and silicone but why do it if i dont need it.

mick8248

Full time elf
When I added some distance to 1 of my 2811 elements I developed similar problems to your's I just dropped the data rate by 50 at a time till the flicker resolved but still kept a reasonable refresh rate.

yzguy96

Full time elf
ok thanks..i will try it tonight...i spent 2 nights trying to solve this and xmas is week away lol...wish me luck. i get home when its pitch black so its hard to see with a flash light and sitting on a steep roof lol

mick8248

Full time elf
I have got mine running at 1800 with no issues, didn't need a null pixel, but my distance is not quite as far.

yzguy96

Full time elf
ok i will try it but it was running fine at 3200 until i moved everything to my basement. only thing changed was a longer cable but i added null pixels every 12-14ft....unless something is not hooked up right but I checked..or interference from something in my basement?

mick8248

Full time elf
2811 chips can push and pull the signal a bit further than 2801 chips not sure how far, but it has been discussed in another thread, will see if I can find it a post link to you. You may not need any null's at all.

mick8248

Full time elf
What voltage strips are they, as mentioned before the 5v ones need power injected about every 50 pixels or so, but lowering the rate should solve the issue, I only added an extra 3m to mine when the issue appeared and needed to change rate from 2400 to 1800. Good luck and don,t fall of that roof lol.

yzguy96

Full time elf
12 v strips...thanks had a few close calls and tomorrow calls for snow and 30 mph winds so it has to be tonight :)

yzguy96

Full time elf
i replaced the data cable and decrease/increase refresh rate and the top windows still flicker....if i need to run a null pixel then can i inject power only from one side?

yzguy96

Full time elf
colors on the second power supply do not always stay in sync or work right but 1st floor windows do?