RGB bare light strips

Hi all.

I'm thinking of buying some bare RGB strips because they are a lot cheaper, I'm going to use them outside.
But because they are bare they need weather proofing.

So I was thinking of dipping them through a small bath of candle wax!

What are your thoughts on this. Would it melt the solder? Would it give a mice defused glow?

Can anyone see any problems with my out-of-the-box idea?

I don't have any to test so...any thoughts

Thanks
Nick

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
How much cheaper than $24 are you getting them, you can get ip68 dumb strip for $24 a strip, when you look at the extra work needed the cost of the wax and the fact the coating will not be as good as the coating offered with these strips I really wonder why anyone would bother buying anything that isnt already coated, especially when IP68 rated strip is so much cheaper now.

Take a look at this strip http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5m-one-roll-5050-SMD-30LEDs-m-led-strip-waterproof-by-silicon-tubing-and-coating-RGB/701799_329544925.html

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
I would also like to add 5050 LEDs are much more efficient than incandescent, BUT they still produce measurable heat.

The wax is sure to melt and/or crack from the cold/warm transitions across the day and when the lights are on/off.

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
There are no stupid ideas here, just lots of kind hearted help to get your display perfect from people who love doing the same thing.

We have learned (and are still learning) what to do and what not to do from a mixture of trial and error and talking to others.

Keep throwing your ideas at us if you think they are good or aren't sure. You may surprise us :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Most of us are always thinking of how to get the best bang for our buck, so no harm in throwing an idea out there, all we can do is be a devils advocate so you will end up making the right choices, because nothing worse than seeing people loose their hard earned money. So dont feel bad about the idea, I hope there was some good advice given to you that will help you make a more informed decision on which direction you take.

kane

Dedicated elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
Most of us are always thinking of how to get the best bang for our buck, so no harm in throwing an idea out there, all we can do is be a devils advocate so you will end up making the right choices, because nothing worse than seeing people loose their hard earned money. So dont feel bad about the idea, I hope there was some good advice given to you that will help you make a more informed decision on which direction you take.
Very true - there's a few of my ideas that I wished I'd run past everyone - would have saved me plenty of money!!

adski

Dave Brown
Here's some at not much more than half Ray's IP68 price and with free delivery. Not waterproof and maybe not the same quality, but I suspect they would be OK inside a tint tube. I'm taking a punt on them anyway - got 5 on order. At that price, I figure I can have a couple of spare tubes fitted out and ready for a "hot swap" if I get any failures.

Nick, if you haven't seen the thread on tint tubes, check this link.
They're easy to come by in SA. I gave away 20 of them at the Adelaide mini.

Dave

Thanks people ...
I'm not deflated by the response, I like to ask question before spending money on something that's jot going to work
This way I keep the wife off my back and out of my shed :D
I'm going to look at glass tinting places for tubing thanks Dave, I too live in Adelaide and have a few ideas of defuses so if I get lucky I will let you all know.

Thanks guys.

Nick