RGB LED Flex strips help

Lharzman

New elf
I have to run a section '75. Will there be any problem with the data traveling that far. I would like to run a single 3 channel controller. I can solder the strips together. I realize I will have to inject power in several different places from the same 12 volt source. I am much better at seeing it drawn on paper. Could someone please show me a drawing of how they would do it and show me your addition for how many amps are used. I know this is alot to ask so if noone has time, thanks anyway. I am just kind of stuck at this point and have been spending days researching and am not getting anywhere. Thanks in advance for anyone who finds time to help....

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Lharzman said:
I have to run a section '75. Will there be any problem with the data traveling that far. I would like to run a single 3 channel controller. I can solder the strips together. I realize I will have to inject power in several different places from the same 12 volt source. I am much better at seeing it drawn on paper. Could someone please show me a drawing of how they would do it and show me your addition for how many amps are used. I know this is alot to ask so if noone has time, thanks anyway. I am just kind of stuck at this point and have been spending days researching and am not getting anywhere. Thanks in advance for anyone who finds time to help....

When using a 3 channel controller there is no data except to the controller itself. Its when you get into pixel controllers that communicate to a chip that is in each section of the strip is when you have data to deal with. Otherwise running a 3 channel controller its the same principles as running a string of red, green and blue, but instead the red, green and blue are in the same LED.

If you require further info you can look here http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/board,51.0.html and for a connection diagram you can see if this helps http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1211.0;attach=1200

Lharzman

New elf
Thanks guys for your quick reply. I don't know why I am having such a hard time grasping the concept. Just when I think I have it figured out, I read a another post and after reading all the technical jargin I feel like a whoopped dog. I appreciate all you guys do to help us noobs. I know it can be real tiresome answering the same questions over and over to different individuals. I will make you all this promise, as soon as I get it figured out, I will do my part and repay you all by spending time in the forums and helping out with questions from others. Thanks again for your time. I am now going to go look at all of this new info and I will be back soon with more questions. Thanks again.

mschell

Full time elf
Let's rethink the whole idea of the 75 foot length of LED strip on a controller.

In simple numbers, it won't work.

75 feet is roughly 25 meters. Most RGB strip is about 30-36 LEDs/meter, and takes 20 mA per LED. So 25 * 30 * .020 Amps is 15 Amps per color. That's LOTS more than a single channel on any DC controller that I know of will handle. Most AC controllers won't handle more than 2-4 Amps per channel, and DC controllers are usually much less than that. So some other method of controlling that length is needed.

So, no matter how you hook it up, you'll still need to figure out how to control it.

I would expect you would want to inject power at least somewhere every 3-4 meters.

Lharzman

New elf
When using a 3 channel controller there is no data except to the controller itself. Its when you get into pixel controllers that communicate to a chip that is in each section of the strip is when you have data to deal with. Otherwise running a 3 channel controller its the same principles as running a string of red, green and blue, but instead the red, green and blue are in the same LED.

This is what is jamming me up. The way I understand it is that a single three channel controller can send data to the beginning of a 75' basic rgb strip and it will be read by the module at the end of the strip 75'. The problem is that you run insufiscient power after approx. 50 modules in the strip so you have to inject power. This far I believe I understand. My question is on how to inject the power. Everytime I view a post on injecting power they show pictures and everything has shrink tubing on it so nothing is visable. This is why I was needing a drawing or video showing the process. Sorry, I say it for you guys. "Freaking NOOBS."

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The best way to control that length is to feed it from the middle.
75 feet = 23 metres = 5 strips needed

So you could feed 2 strips on one side and the other 2 and a bit strips for the other side so the controller is located between these. You will still need power injection between between each strip

A simple layout diagram how you may connect this is shown below

IF:
----- = 5 metre strip
I = Power injection point between strips
C = Controller with more than 1 output (E680/1, Pixad8)
| = Strip joined together

-------I-------C-------|-------I----

The way i did mine was using 2 controllers

C-------|-------I-------|-------|----C

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The below example is for using individually controlled pixels. If you want to use standard 3 channel dumb strip then you could run one whole 75 foot length with a DC controller if the outputs of the controller can cope with the current (eg 30LED/m 12vdc strip is rated at 0.2 amps per metre per colour).
The DMoore 3 channel controllers are rated at 2 amps per colour/output and the strip draws 0.2 amps per colour per metre for the 12vdc 30 LED/m strip
That would mean you could only connect 2 strips per 3 channel controller.. So to run the amount of strip you want you would require 3 x 3 channel controllers. You can have these controllers set for the same adress so they will act as the same and you can also connect all these up using the same power supply.
If you wanted you could divide up the controllers and have them at different adresses so you could have additional control of each section and instead if you wanted them all on at the same time then you just do this in the sequencing software.

Lharzman

New elf
:-* Again, thank you very much. I wonder if I can get lucky enough that they will a begin their auto cycle at the same time. This is going on my business as mood lighting. Maybe it would be better to get a three channel controller with 10 amps per channel. Do they make them.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
If you are planning on using this for mood lighting, do you need the DMX data connection and computer control or would it be better to use an RGB controller with a remote as there are better options available that may meet your requirements

This controller is remote controlled and is rated at 6 amps per output so all you would need is to inject the power into the strip, but it will all run from the one controller and have a remote to control the mood

http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209915969-486576992/RF-Wireless-Touching-LED-Controller-DC12-24V-input-max-6A-3channel-output.html

There are a lot more available that would do the job and rated high enough for your requirements