RGB STRIPS AND STRINGS WITH TWO PLUGS?

coopz05

Apprentice elf
I purchased a very large order of my first RGB's from Ray Wu. 30x Strings, 20x strips.

When they arrived, they all have one female plug on one end, and a male on the other.

I only wanted one end to have a plug (male)

Does any know if there is an easy way of fixing this? preferably without having to cut wires etc.

Ideally, it would be good if they sell screw on caps, so I can just put caps on the female end.

Does anyone know if they exist, and where I can get them?

DeeJai

Is that Magic Smoke?!?
cutting them off would definately be the cheapest option. not sure if there are end caps for the plugs (probably should be), but cutting the wires, then putting some electrical tape over them or some heatshrink would solve the problem

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Banging a bit of silicon down the ends of the sockets and over the ends would be a simple solution.

AlexB

New elf
Having just received my order of WS2811 strip this week and playing with it for the first time, i was pleasantly surprised that both ends had connectors on them - as I had planned on creating a gutter-strip, so being able to connect them all suited me perfectly.

Being a newbie to this myself, I presume you want yours to be independent of each other? Talking to some of the other guys, if you want some things done a certain way with Ray, it's best to ask for it before submitting the order.

I'm pretty sure you can get the plastic caps for the strip separately, so one would be able to cut off the connections and glue on the new strips without holes in them.

I'm sure one of the other guys would have a better idea, but if I didn't want the wires \ plugs at the other end of the strip, i'd probably just fold the plug over and cover it with electrical tape.

I guess how 'perfect' you do it would depend on how you're positioning them - (ie if one end is going to be under eaves or a cap or something?) Maybe a little more info about where you're going to position them?

That's my semi-lay-person's opinion...

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Given that you have entered this world of blinky now seems as good as any to learn how to solder, better to learn now than half way up a ladder in the middle of Dec when you have a major problem

logandc99

Dedicated elf
I have the 13.5mm screw caps from Ray for mine. Didn't want to cut the cables off in case I wanted to join some together to extend them later so I just sealed them off with the screw caps

y3e8y2y5.jpg

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
It's not clear if the OP has pixel or dumb RGB strings & strips. No picture of the connectors either so hard to know what type of connectors they are referring to.