RGB Theatre Room idea's

burner

Full time elf
Howdy all,

I'm back after almost burning myself right out from last years display (as well as other projects running at the same time).

I'm currently assisting my brother with building his house, and we are almost at plastering stage downstairs and starting to cable. He is wanting to build a theatre room with a 300mm square bulkhead around the ceiling (ceiling is 13ft high, as it's an old Victorian style house that we have extended out and up). The room is around 5.5m long and around 4m wide. I was suggesting that he put in 2 LED strips on each side (and possibly all sides) and face them upwards, so the bulkhead would need to have a 10-15mm extension at the base, so that we can 3M tape the strip to it.

Ideally I'm looking for a wireless controlled solution that can control all the strips as 1 unit, running off some transformers for power. The strips can be dumb strips, but I want to offer different colours and be able to dim the lighting too.

I searched the forum for the word Theatre, but nothing came up. Has anyone put our hobby to use in the theatre arena? Can anyone suggest something that would suit from Ray Wu's store?

Burner (Brian)

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Ray has what you need.. like usal..lol
this was the search i did at his store http://www.aliexpress.com/store/701799/search?SearchText=rgb+dimmer

it could be a basic one like this http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/LED-RGB-Dimmer-DC12V-input-4A-3channels-output-P-N-KL-XDIMMER-3CH-LV/701799_312883584.html

or a fancy one like this http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/RF-8-key-LED-RGB-controller-with-dimmering-function-DC12V-input-Max8A-each-channel-output/701799_320710342.html

or a medium of the range one like this http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/3-channel-RGB-dimmer-DC12-24V-input-5A-3channel-output/701799_538733303.html

what ever way you go you need to add up the dumb strips current so you dont blow the controller.. an since its a theatre room, you would realy want a remote as well as wall based controler

thats the best i can do with a 3min search in rays store.. :D

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
I have used basic controllers from ray that have IR remotes. the good thing about them is you can copy the IR codes from the remote and use them with a Universal remote that will also controller the theater

Superman

Global moderator
yes that is brightness. the other thing to consider with these types of controllers are that they are RGBW so if you put them of a cyle pattern they will go black after Blue.
the good thing is you can add white strip to it and you get a nice white light in the room thats better then RGB white.
I would be using RGB strip and white strip in my theater room if it was
me.

burner

Full time elf
He is still going to put in a few LED downlights into the room for the white light, so it's no big deal. I'm not sure what the RGBW is, does that mean there is 4 terminals/channels? Can I just use the RGB channels in this case?

Superman

Global moderator
RGBW is 5 terminals
red
green
blue
white
common

yes you can just use the wheel on the remote to select a static color

burner

Full time elf

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
You could run all 4 strips off 1 x 350W power supply which would save you some dollars.... Unless for some reason you need 4 separate supplies?

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
burner said:
He is still going to put in a few LED downlights into the room for the white light, so it's no big deal. I'm not sure what the RGBW is, does that mean there is 4 terminals/channels? Can I just use the RGB channels in this case?

connect the white up to the white down lights

burner

Full time elf
Further to this, We have finally got around to ordering everything listed above (from my post) and are starting to work on the layout before the items arrive later this week (and before we finish plastering). Here is the layout I have so far:
Theatreroom.jpg

I'm just curious as to the power output section on the power amplifier (marked on image with a red circle), what's it for and what do I connect it to? The Amplifier has it's own power input source.

The next question I have, is it possible to shift all the amplifiers to the manhole corner (for easy access in case of an issue)? This would mean that at the end of each strip, I'd need to run the 4 wires from the strip back to the amplifier (at the manhole) and then back to the next strip. The longest run would therefore be at the diagonal opposite corner. I'm not sure of the distance limitation with these LED strips? Is it the same as for the 2811's that I use in my display of around 5m before the signal drops off?

We are using 14/.20 alarm wiring.