RIP ‘Wiggy’

DavidJ247

Full time elf
Something tripped a breaker on our display a few days ago, everything but the mega tree came back on, I found a dead psu which was promptly replaced and things were back to normal.
On further investigation I found the cause of the psu failure, an earwig had crawled inside the power supply casing and shorted a component. Pleased to say the overload fuse blew protecting the psu and the display from any major catastrophe. Although it killed the psu, a $30 Ray Wu power supply is a small price to pay after 5 years of service. Unfortunately no such protection for the earwig, RIP Wiggy!

Attachments

• 81403F31-1B58-4905-AE7C-C8257CC2F685.jpeg
    81403F31-1B58-4905-AE7C-C8257CC2F685.jpeg
    626.3 KB · Views: 60

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I once had an earwig crawl into a plug and proceed to set up home between live and earth. Kept tripping the rcd and confusing me because I could not find the problem. Eventually narrowed it down to the one plug and dismantled it. Found the culprit and everything went fine after that.

vk3heg

Full time elf
I had one do the same thing back in the incandescent days inside a SSR box. 240V must have tasted nice!. Like you I had a RCD on that box.

Iain

Full time elf
I once had an earwig crawl into a plug and proceed to set up home between live and earth. Kept tripping the rcd and confusing me because I could not find the problem
My shed has been doing this on and off for a year. I wonder if that’s the cause? I can’t single it down to any one point though…