RJ45 cat5 cable connections

Dave

Full time elf
I have been doing some research on making up data cables on the net, but there seems to be a few differant combinations.
Now i realise there is a cros over example that i DON'T want. But some of them say as long as you keep the pairing together it doesn't matter that much.
I have attached a picture, if anyone can let me know if this will do?

Thanks

Dave

Attachments

• rj-48c-wiring.png
    rj-48c-wiring.png
    115.2 KB · Views: 77

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
That diagram is how I wire mine. As you said, as long as the pairing is kept the same, the absolute colours are not important.

TimW

Full time elf
Just to be clear that when we say 'pairing' we don't only mean 'pin 1 to pin 1', 'pin 2 to pin 2' pairing!

Yes... you do need to conect pin 1 to pin 1 etc... but the pairing of colors is really important when you are trying to send a signal down the line... the cable is 'twisted pair' so you need to use pairs of orange/orange-wht, brown/brown wht etc. Don't send DMX+ down the blue and DMX- down the orange for example.....

The picture is fine.

Tim

cenote

Suburbs of Philadelphia
Dave said:
Tabor said:

Please don't shoot me for this question.
Why did he cross over the blue and white/blue when he put the second plug on?

When making cat wires for telephone systems, they use a crosses pair. All other apps as far as I know, do not use any crossed pairs. This is why some are marked for Telephone uses only.

I suggest getting used to making cat5's with the messed up order, I often grab my Christmas stash for playing with computer stuff too.

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
cenote said:
Dave said:
Tabor said:

Please don't shoot me for this question.
Why did he cross over the blue and white/blue when he put the second plug on?

I suggest getting used to making cat5's with the messed up order, I often grab my Christmas stash for playing with computer stuff too.

Chuck, not quite right.

In the video he did exactly the same at both ends, he just used the words "crossed over" and it is confusing.

Cat5 terminations follow EIA standards http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_5_cable

There is a RJ61 standard for use with Multiline telephones http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RJ61 and this is the stuff likely labelled for telephone use only

Cheers
Phil