Roof lines - pixabulbs, bullets, strip?

JoeBob

New elf
@JPB That is a very nice look! Certainly took some time to initially setup, but installing on the roof is probably fairly quick each year.
Do you only do the bottom of the roof line, or do you go across the center peak as well? I’ve wondered how people attach to the center of the peak?

JPB

Full time elf
Out of interest, do the wires go in/out the sides of the square nodes, or from the back? I've heard that the side entry types can be prone to some water ingress, but the rear type ones have far less, if any water ingress issues at all. I have the later so fingers crossed!
I use these ones on my mega tree and have had zero issues. Just for a test I even ran them under water once.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DC5...pm=a2g0s.13010208.99999999.260.3f653c00l2IRrB

JPB

Full time elf
NVM. Just re-read your post. How quick are they to install each time you put them up? And you have permanent brackets they clip into or how to you fix them? Nice job.

They go up very quick.
For the gutter I join 2 200mm cable ties together. Push one up from below between the fascia and the back of the gutter and convince it to come out under the tile. And then join the second on, loop it around the ducting and tighten it up.
Cable ties probably every 1.5 m. I put the cable ties in place and then get the kids to help get the strips down from the ceiling of the garage and then lift them into place under the gutter and do the ties up.
On the gable ends I have pop rivetted cable tie anchors to the fascia. Don't trust the adhesive, it will let go in the heat ( they were my original plan for the gutter too but did not work)
https://www.bunnings.com.au/narva-19mm-black-cable-tie-mounts-5-pack_p4430668

JPB

Full time elf
@JPB That is a very nice look! Certainly took some time to initially setup, but installing on the roof is probably fairly quick each year.
Do you only do the bottom of the roof line, or do you go across the center peak as well? I’ve wondered how people attach to the center of the peak?

On the roof itself I have cable tie mount glued to the tiles with silicon, black mounts on a black roof so you can't see them for the rest of the year.

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
I used strips for the first two years on my house outline when I started with pixels. I swapped to the C9 Pixabulbs in 2017. TONS of compliments on the C9's and ZERO failures so far. Much easier to repair and gives a much more traditional Christmas light look. I love the C9's

JoeBob

New elf
I also like the C9 look as it’s more of a typical Christmas light. I just wasn’t sure if that look is necessary with all of the animation and movement that can be done with pixels.

Pooch

New elf
They go up very quick.
For the gutter I join 2 200mm cable ties together. Push one up from below between the fascia and the back of the gutter and convince it to come out under the tile. And then join the second on, loop it around the ducting and tighten it up.
Cable ties probably every 1.5 m. I put the cable ties in place and then get the kids to help get the strips down from the ceiling of the garage and then lift them into place under the gutter and do the ties up.
On the gable ends I have pop rivetted cable tie anchors to the fascia. Don't trust the adhesive, it will let go in the heat ( they were my original plan for the gutter too but did not work)
https://www.bunnings.com.au/narva-19mm-black-cable-tie-mounts-5-pack_p4430668

I was looking at using the 25mm x 25mm trunking on my gutters and possibly on my colourbond roof outline. But seeing as the trunking is plastic I was going to see if self adhesive magnetic strip would hold the trunking in place to the gutter.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/everhang-25mm-x-3m-self-adhesive-magnetic-strip_p3690118

Have you looked into this sort of fastener or are you pretty happy with how your set up is working. I'm just trying to think of ways to hold the trunking or conduit if I go that path without having to drill into the colourbond.

Did you drill the holes into the trunking top sleeve, put the pixels in then slide the sleeve into the channel of the trunking ? Just trying to think of how would be the best way of putting them into place without too much hassle.

Any other tips you have with the trunking is most appreciated.

Thanks

JPB

Full time elf
I was looking at using the 25mm x 25mm trunking on my gutters and possibly on my colourbond roof outline. But seeing as the trunking is plastic I was going to see if self adhesive magnetic strip would hold the trunking in place to the gutter.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/everhang-25mm-x-3m-self-adhesive-magnetic-strip_p3690118

Have you looked into this sort of fastener or are you pretty happy with how your set up is working. I'm just trying to think of ways to hold the trunking or conduit if I go that path without having to drill into the colourbond.

Did you drill the holes into the trunking top sleeve, put the pixels in then slide the sleeve into the channel of the trunking ? Just trying to think of how would be the best way of putting them into place without too much hassle.

Any other tips you have with the trunking is most appreciated.

Thanks

On the gable ends i am super happy with the cable tie mounts pop riveted to the the colourbond fascia.
But I would love a better way for below the gutter. I have thought about the magnet idea but it is a fair bit of weight. I guess I could use the cable tie mounts pop riveted as high as possible to the fascia below the gutter.

As for mounting the pixels in the trunking, they are through the base rather than the lid.
Jon

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Very nice @JPB
I do like the look of the C9 bulbs. I bought some and put them on plant trainers to make mini spiral trees. Whilst some of the effects aren't as 'clean' as straight pixels, I did like the more traditional look.

drakky

Senior elf
that ducting is sold at any electrical wholesaler also might be cheaper not sure , just ask for Aussie duct