rPi-28D+ now available

stevelee

Apprentice elf
Hi Steve
Falcon Player doesn't need the extra processing power of a Pi4. You can happily run it on a Pi2 if needed. The Pi4's run quite hot and it's not really recommended to bang a cap/cape/hat on top of them without a fan or heatsinks on the Pi and with a cape on top that becomes hard to do. Because of the heat and the fact that there's no necessity or benefit in going to a Pi4 over a Pi3 I don't stock anything other than the Pi3B+. The board will however work fine (other than heat) with the Pi4's as long as you use the right Pi image as there's been updates to the Pi4 which screws up the hardware signature.
If you're just wanting to play then using a pixel tester or 2 and a power distribution like my Power8 or PSDIST1 will allow you to build props and do testing etc but with only basic control of colours etc.

Thank you Alan,

I've just sent an order through for enough bits to get me into trouble, but hopefully not too much.

The plan is to play around with some sequencing on a couple of strips to get used to the programming software. I'll start with xLights but have also downloaded and installed Vixen. While doing that, I'll start planning for stage 1 on the house, to work out what I'll need from there.

Thanks again, Steve

Reactions: AAH

adamspark

New elf
Hi Alan,
The 2811 outputs on my rPi-28D+ on a pi zero W work a treat but I haven't been able to get any data out of the DMX. I am assuming it's in my configuration but have tried everything I can think of. I am thinking of trying a usb dongle, would that help troubleshoot a hardware issue do you think?

Jarrad33

150k of Pixels for 2023
Hi @AAH

Im going to run my show with FPP next year so Ill need to some Pi's for my falcons. I want to try run wireless this time to save on extra cables everywhere so im guessing the 3B+ would be the way to go ?

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
The rPi-28D and rPi-28D+ regulate the 12V (actually anything 8V to 24V) down to 5V via a 3A switchmode regulator.
Sorry that this is off topic, but out of interest what's the part number of the regulator? I've got relay PCB's I made up and I could only find 1A varieties so I had to use 3x of them but would much prefer a single regulator.
Cheers

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Sorry that this is off topic, but out of interest what's the part number of the regulator? I've got relay PCB's I made up and I could only find 1A varieties so I had to use 3x of them but would much prefer a single regulator.
Cheers
It's an Aliexpress 3A module. There's dozens of sellers selling the exact same board. It's got about 6 different voltages as well as adjustable. I wish I could find the actual manufacturer of the original as I'd like them just in a fixed 5V version. there's no actual part number that I've been able to locate.

AAH

Hi Alan,
The 2811 outputs on my rPi-28D+ on a pi zero W work a treat but I haven't been able to get any data out of the DMX. I am assuming it's in my configuration but have tried everything I can think of. I am thinking of trying a usb dongle, would that help troubleshoot a hardware issue do you think?
Sing out in the new year and we'll have a chat. A quick Teamviewer or Zoom session will probably get it sorted in minutes. Shoot me some screenshots of your setup via my email if you want and I'll have a look at them.

AAH

Hi @AAH

Im going to run my show with FPP next year so Ill need to some Pi's for my falcons. I want to try run wireless this time to save on extra cables everywhere so im guessing the 3B+ would be the way to go ?
Hi Jarrad.
If you're going to go wireless then the 3B+ is probably the 1 to go for. Let me know how you get on transmitting the power wirelessly to the controllers. Nikola Tesla was working on wireless electricity transmission back in the day but nothing came of it ;)
Personally I'm not a fan of wifi for controlling the lights. Christmas light displays are electrically noisy and it makes for poor wifi conditions.