Running LOR Controllers in a DMX Universe

bhasse

New elf
Awesome, you guys are fast. Thanks for the helpful information. I guess I will just need to solidify my layout and decide on what works best. I just wanted to make sure my prior investments would not go to waste while I advance to other technology and software. I also need to decide if I should continue to use the LOR sequencer or move on to something else. I have been very happy with LOR, but now that I am getting into pixels and taking my hobby to the next level I am looking for more options to handle the programming better. I have watched some videos on HLS and so far I am impressed.

Again thanks for fast replies.

bhasse

New elf
For those that posted I assume you are still using the LOR sequencer in order to continue to use the USB485B. Any ideas on if I were to use HLS or something else. It appears to me that HLS would not support the USB dongle and I would have to run everything through the network .

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Yes I am still using LOR S3 Advanced. This is only my 2nd year so loving it.

I dont want to control my LOR controllers under DMX, I like to keep them separate.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
bhasse said:
For those that posted I assume you are still using the LOR sequencer in order to continue to use the USB485B. Any ideas on if I were to use HLS or something else. It appears to me that HLS would not support the USB dongle and I would have to run everything through the network .

I have used LSP for the last 3 years which has been able to do things that other software packages cant

dannyp

Full time elf
I have read through all these posts and Eddys presentations and the network diagram and just want somone to confirm my understanding please.

I intend to use E1.31 from the PC to a newtork switch. Then from the network switch I will have a Cat 6 to a P12R. From the network switch I will then also have a Cat 6 to a ECG-D2 to run some LOR controllers in DMX mode. Do I still need a crossover cable to connect from the D2 to the LOR Controllers or does the D2 do this conversion so I can just use a standard Cat 6 connector?

If I need a crossover cable, can I buy these from somewhere as I'm not that confident that I can make one?

many thanks

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
You will need a cross over cable

The presentation shows you how to make a cross over cable which is as easy as just cutting a network cable and then rejoining the coreect wires as shown in this presentation.

kane

Dedicated elf
We should probably make the distinction that what you are after is a DMX-LOR cable, rather than a traditional ethernet crossover cable (which won't work)

You can buy crossover cables, but these are designed for you to connect two ethernet devices directly to each other (without using a hub or switch), assuming that those ethernet devices aren't auto-sensing.

As eddy mentioned, pretty easy to make, but if you're worried, then here's a couple places you can buy from (not sure if they ship to AU)
http://store.creativelightingdisplays.com/LOR-DMX-Cat5-Cross-Over-Cable-LOR-DMX-CROSS.htm
http://www.seasonalentertainmentllc.com/store/en/adapters/107-lor-dmx-adapter.html

Cheers

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Last year I ran 2 of the LOR DC controllers and two of AVDs DMX boards all daisy chained together off the one dongle. Worked ok. This year switched to LSP and running the P12s boards off the network switch and will run the DMX and LOR boards off the dongle.

dannyp

Full time elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
You will need a cross over cable

The presentation shows you how to make a cross over cable which is as easy as just cutting a network cable and then rejoining the coreect wires as shown in this presentation.

Ok this sounds simple enought. Didnt think about just cutting the wires in between the ends and rejoining them inti the correct order. I though I had to connect them to the plugs.

Thanks

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Having since done some re-wiring of Ethernet cables, it's actually easier than you think. However, last year I ordered one of these-
AVD APC745 LOR - ESTA DMX RJ45 Adapter
https://www.audiovisualdevices.com.au/viewprod.php?catid=&productid=APC745

from AVD as I was just learning all about this LOR and DMX stuff. So it meant I could just plug my existing Ethernet cables into each end of the adapter and the cross over was done between my LOR and DMX controllers, no rewriting on my part. And as a newbie and as things were getting late in the year, it was an easy option for me.

Shanta

New elf
ShellNZ said:
I then have 3 DMX controllers that I have hooked up (daisy chained) with another USB485 (DavidAVD's one with isolator).

I just want to be sure I'm hearing you right, you are using an LOR USB dongle to drive a DMX network populated with DMX-native devices. I've been looking for info on how to do that and the helpful folks at LOR told me to get an Enttec! Can you point me to more info about how to set it up to do that? Thanks!

kane

Dedicated elf
Shanta said:
I just want to be sure I'm hearing you right, you are using an LOR USB dongle to drive a DMX network populated with DMX-native devices. I've been looking for info on how to do that and the helpful folks at LOR told me to get an Enttec! Can you point me to more info about how to set it up to do that? Thanks!

I'm pretty sure that a LOR dongle cannot drive dmx, as it only sends out the LOR protocol

However, most LOR controllers can accept either LOR or DMX protocols, so if you have a DMX dongle, then it can be used with both LOR controllers and any DMX controller

Shanta

New elf
Kane said:
Shanta said:

I'm pretty sure that a LOR dongle cannot drive dmx, as it only sends out the LOR protocol

However, most LOR controllers can accept either LOR or DMX protocols, so if you have a DMX dongle, then it can be used with both LOR controllers and any DMX controller

Ahhh! I found it! The LOR site itself says that the LOR dongle (USB485) is an approved DMX adapter. See this: http://www.lightorama.com/help/index.html?the_dmx_tab.htm It can only drive one universe, and like the Enttec Open it is CPU-reliant (and therefore prone to stuttering) but this should be just what I need to drive a couple of DMX floods. I have two LOR dongles, so I'll use one for DMX and the other for native LOR (so I'll still have hardware twinkle and shimmer).

JonB256

Full time elf
The LOR USB dongle will output DMX but it is not "good" DMX if you look with an O-scope. The break signals aren't as clean as an ENTTEC so devices can get confused about start channels.

This is personal experience. It frequently made my start channel off by one. With an ENTTEC it was never a problem, nor with a J1sys E131 ECGDR4.