Saying hello. First time here

jibly71

New elf
Hello all.

Looking to join the rangs of the famous and put on the best light display in my street.

I have done well so far with static displays, but looking to expand into the world of LOR and DMC LED lighting. Any tips most welcome.
Cheers
jibbly71

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
Welcome to ACL - before you head down the LOR controller path have a good look at all the options they are the most expensive and a large amount of use don't use them for that one reason. You will find plenty of help from a group of very knowledgable and helpful people here

kel

Dedicated elf
welcome47.gif

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
Welcome to ACL !!
Not sure about becoming famous with this hobby, but you can certainly join the ranks of those who spend quite a bit to make the blinky flashy things happen !
As far as going with LOR, you might want to read a bunch first. There are many alternatives to LOR for both software as well as hardware. There are also many new options on the boards as this hobby is in a transition now with the upcoming of RGB stuff that is coming online as well.
I use LOR and have since 2008. I find no problem with it but now that I am going to start into RGB and pixels, I am looking at a different solution for the software as LOR gets bogged down with high channel counts under RGB. It does not take long to get up in the higher range of channels either with RGB so you will want to read up on things before committing to LOR.
Another place to find very good info is over on the DIY forum:
http://doityourselfchristmas.com/forums/forum.php
There you can learn a lot about hardware as well as software for the DIY route if you want to save some money and are handy at building things.
You will learn a lot here by checking out Eddy's 101 manual first:
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php/topic,1889.0.html
With the prices in RGB coming into a very reasonable range, using some E1.31 and pixels can give you a real WOW factor for less money than a basic LOR controller and lights as well as an infinite range of colors!
So that is another reason to read a lot first before jumping into any one hardware or software solution at least to me.
Again, Welcome here and read, read, read! You will be amazed at what you can do!
Bill

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL jibbly71

Lots of very friendly folks here are glad to help you put on the best light display on your street.
As already suggested the AusChristmasLighting 101 manual is a great resource for creating blinky lights, safer low voltage lighting and of course RGB.

Do you have photos of your current static display?
Since there are many helpful folks here, there are also many different opinions here. :)

This will be my 4th year with LOR. LOR has the most expensive controllers. That said, LOR is a fantastic way to get started in the blinky world. It is the easiest to learn with (smallest learning curve) and is very effective for turning a static display into a blinky display. LOR has great factory support and is the only one (that i am aware of) that has already sequenced songs (by other LOR users) available for purchase or free download on the internet.

If you are thinking about replacing your static display or adding a lot of RGB to your display, this will cause a high channel count and LOR may not be the best choice. If you are DIY type person, then again, LOR may not be your best choice.

As you will learn you can create great displays using LOR or DIY.
Have a look at these two displays from downunder.
Geoff has an LOR display. Eddy has a DIY display.

And by the way, Joining these forums and entering the chat room can give you CLAP!!! :D
Christmas Lighting Addiction Problem

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, im sure you will find all you need here and if not then ask in a post, always people willing to help

jibly71

New elf
Wow. Thanks guys for the welcome.

I am learning already. Can't wait to chat som more.