Scheduler blocking wireless connections

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
Not sure if this is the right spot for this or not.

Heres one for all the network gurus out there.

I run my home network on one subnet (10.1.1.*** 255.255.255.0)
I run all my lighting gear incl show pc on a second subnet (10.10.10.*** 255.0.0.0)
Everything had worked, ran and coexisted happily on this setup for the last 2 years.
For some reason this year when scheduler starts my show all my wireless devices drop off and cant connect to my network. this includes a laptop, tablets and phones. As soon as the shows finished they all connect happily?
Scheduler is using unicast if that helps, dont know if it does the same in multicast, havent tried yet.

kane

Dedicated elf
I've found that my network was getting absolutely hammered this year by the new scheduler (just while the show was run) - everything grinded down to a halt.

So yesterday, I decided to move to a separate physical network for e1.31 - added a usb ethernet unit to the show PC (didn't have the energy to install an internal card!), and setup a 10.10.10.* network for e1.31, and left my home on 192.168.1.1

Ruprect - do you have a separate physical network, or just separate subnets?

Kane

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
No everythings on the same physical network although I can easily separate if I wanted, but I'm not sure I really want to.
I'm not sure if its a matter of too much traffic as its only affecting the wireless side of things, I can still download and stream movies without issue on the wired network.
The only things that are different to last year are the new scheduler and a different modem/router. So my guess would be its either one or a combination of those 2. I'm hoping someone has experienced the same issue maybe.
I only found the problem last night so I havent really had any time to play with it yet.

burner

Full time elf
There is a setting on the new routers to set the channel width for the wifi to 20/40Mhz or just 20Mhz. I recently had to change mine to 20Mhz only and it solved issues with my wifi access randomly dropping off at home.

cozbert

Full time elf
i would recommend that you change your show nic to a 255.255.255.0 subnet :)

because you have it set to 255.0.0.0 it will be spamming data from 10.0.0.0 to 10.254.254.254

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I'm using LOR not LSP, but tonight I discovered that when the show was running my wife's iPad wouldn't connect to the wireless network. (other devices would)

Anyway, I simply changed all my universes ( there's only 8 ) from multicast to unicast and voila! - problem solved. :)

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Ok, I have a different problem. when I power up my P2 in the garage I can't use the remotes to open the doors.
Wife isn't too impressed with that one

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
superman said:
Ok, I have a different problem. when I power up my P2 in the garage I can't use the remotes to open the doors.

That will likely be a power supply EMI issue, not related to the P2 specifically.

kane

Dedicated elf
Update to the issue I was getting. I thought it was solved by the introduction of a second network device on my show computer to ensure two separate physical networks, I'm still finding that the home network is coming to a complete halt during the show (or at least, access to the internet is - haven't tested internal network speeds).

I have already changed my configuration to use Unicast for nearly all my controllers - I have one e681 that doesn't support unicast, and also I have a DR4 and D4 that both listen to Universe 1, so I need to stick with multicast for that universe too.

So as a test, I pinged an internet IP from my wife's PC and it was coming back at 1500ms pings, whereas if I used my routers diagnostic pages to ping the same address, it was coming back in 60ms. I then disconnected the network cable from the show PC to the home network, and instantly the pings from my wife's PC come back at 60ms, and internet access is restored.

So to me, I'm pretty sure that this is bug in the scheduler - even though you choose the network adapter to send e1.31 out on, perhaps it's sending it out on all interfaces..

This would definitely explain the issues others are getting with wireless...

Will post on the LSP forum..

JPB

Full time elf
superman said:

Adding the garage doors to your show?

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
JPB said:
superman said:

Adding the garage doors to your show?

Now there's an idea.