Security cameras

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
That's one that I was looking at and is the same brand as the cheaper (non-PoE) one i got.

The free software that you use to set it up seems to offer viewing / recording, etc.

Choosing a camera that's ONVIF compliant seem to be the way to go.

darylc

404 darylc not found
I started with no-name cameras, but they did not last more than a year or two, so have started buying Hikvisions

ShellNZ

Senior elf
I have 4 wired cameras with continuous HDD recording a week then overwriting a week etc. Its good enough to see their face if they walk fairly close to the house but not from the path probably. 720p. Cost about $1200 if I recall.

videoman3857

Full time elf
I don't worry about security cameras. All my expensive stuff sits insulated above a large metal plate.
bare 240 volt wire is wrapped around everything and bypasses my ELCB.
I have a sticker posted that says Danger 240 volt power. Do Not Touch. Not only does it kill you, but it will hurt the whole time you are dying.

Seriously though

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I don't worry about security cameras. All my expensive stuff sits insulated above a large metal plate.
bare 240 volt wire is wrapped around everything and bypasses my ELCB.
I have a sticker posted that says Danger 240 volt power. Do Not Touch. Not only does it kill you, but it will hurt the whole time you are dying.

Seriously though
Is that legal?!

danv

Full time elf
I had someone have a go at my arches last year and they only managed to bend them, each end was bolted to a 12" ground screw below grass level. Wanted them so much they climbed a high slatted fence and tilted the motion sensors of the floods towards the ground. They'll probably try again this year I imagine!

Wowsers! Now that is keen!

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Some people are pretty determined! One of my old analogue cameras, despite being installed on the high side of the house where a ladder was needed, was stolen during one night.

Spoiler content hidden. Log in to see this content.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf

scamper

Dedicated elf
I started with a cheap setup from aliexpress. When I say cheap it was still around $400. The cameras kept dropping out, the box would not record properly and would keep resetting but then the time would be wrong.
In the end I got an email for 50% off a Swann system at JB hifi. I bought it and wired it up and it has worked flawlessly for the last 2 years. It has a motion sensor record so if you want to go back to an incident you can. I had the cops look at the footage when the guy across the road and 2 doors down had his trailer stolen and even though the image wasn't good enough for ID, it gave them a general idea of what car they were looking for. The app works easily and was simple to set up, as opposed to the hours spent trying to get the app for the Chinese one to even find the camera.
A few months back JB hifi did another half price on the latest Swann setup, so I bought it and installed it at my daughters place.
So in summary, spend the few extra bucks and get a good one straight up, it will save in heartache.

Wendys

New elf
You can have them stand alone attached to a monitor,
But if you would like to access them via your phone or another computer you will need to have it plugged into your home modem.