Security for outside

deblen

Full time elf
Hi all,

Hopefully this is the right section to post.

If you have problems with vandals with your display, the following items may be a good investment.

A lock, that puts out a very loud pitch, when shaken, a window alarm that can be ties to your display, this also emits a very loud sound when triggered

Both are available at Bunnings, pictures below .

Deblen

Attachments

• Lock.JPG
    Lock.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 61
  • Window Alarm.JPG
    Window Alarm.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 65

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
back in the blow mould days,
I poured cerment inside them an secured with a eyebolt,
then ran chain through them all..
it saved them like 3 times.. pity the weather did'nt

Roosta

Full time elf
Well found..

I was going to go that way however have now opted to hook all elements up to my house security system, whereby if they get disconnected while the alarm is armed the alarm will go off, alerting the neighbourhood and me if i am now home..

Worked out pretty simple, just purchased some 2pin plugs and sockets and am using 5core cable around the yard.. 3 core for pixels, 2 cores for the security closed loop..

multicast

Senior elf
DO NOT TOUCH - LIVE ELECTRICTRY 10 Million Ohms

If they are are stupid enough to try to steal stuff a sign like above works.

thecrazylightlady

Yes I admit it.....I have the C.L.A.P
we used to have so much trouble with vandalism and theft, i just tell everyone that comes to visit the lights that i have night vision security cameras. Luckily our neighbours across the road have them and can also see our yard. we also have signs out the front saying we have security

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
thecrazylightlady said:
we used to have so much trouble with vandalism and theft, i just tell everyone that comes to visit the lights that i have night vision security cameras. Luckily our neighbours across the road have them and can also see our yard. we also have signs out the front saying we have security
Unfortunately security cameras are only as good as the quality and using this imagery to identify someone can be very difficult unless they are clearly caught close up, so your neighbours cameras will most probably be useless to identify anyone due to the distance. Night vision alters to look also and can make it hard to identify someone and the police can only use it to confront the person, they still have to admit to it

I learnt all this after a break in where we had very clear footage and even knew who it was but the police still were still cautious to use it and explained they still have to admit to it as cameras can cause wrong identification especially when captured under low light

So cameras can be good in certain circumstances, but I would use a camera in conjunction with a security light as this will help make the image clearer and also act as a deterrent before the crime is done. A camera only captures the crime after its done and in many cases its just frustrating because you see them steal things but you cant identify them, so better to stop the act before its done.

Trioxide

New elf
Roosta said:
I was going to go that way however have now opted to hook all elements up to my house security system, whereby if they get disconnected while the alarm is armed the alarm will go off, alerting the neighbourhood and me if i am now home..

Worked out pretty simple, just purchased some 2pin plugs and sockets and am using 5core cable around the yard.. 3 core for pixels, 2 cores for the security closed loop..

What kind of sensors did you use for this as I would be interested?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Trioxide said:
Roosta said:

What kind of sensors did you use for this as I would be interested?

He is using 5 core cable and plug, he uses 3 cores for the lights as normal and then uses the additional 2 cores for a signal back to his alarm system, if the plug is detached then the circuit will be open and thus trigger the alarm.

A pretty good way to do security for elements left out in the yard