Setting up Channels in xLights?

Giles1

Giles
Generous elf
This is my second year with Pixels, and once again I am struggling with correctly setting up the control channels. Last year I got it sort of working one day before Christmas (with lots of your assistance), so I really want to do better this year. I really thought it would be easier this time around, but I'm now using a new Falcon Controller, and I'm just having trouble again. So I'm hoping someone will be able to see where I'm going wrong, and point me in the right direction.
This year I have a 16 port Controller, as well as 3 x Differential Receiver boards, so I was going to try and use one Port per light string, to save having to power inject. I also have spare ports, that I won't be using this year, so I'm not really sure of the correct way of showing these ports. Please see below my xLights Setup page.
I've shown my spare Ports as Null (so the Port count is correct), but they still seem to want to use one channel each.
I also have a Mega Tree and a Matrix that use over 510 channels each, but I can't seem to show the full number of channels on one port, as it appears that I can only show a maximum of 510 channels on one port. I thought I might be able to show the extra channels on additional rows, under the same port number, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
upload_2018-10-16_21-9-7.png I have also attached a copy of the xLights Check Sequence file, as well as a copy of my setup Spread sheet, which I'm hoping will assist. So if anyone can help, that would really be appreciated.

Just for interest, this is what my new display should look like.
upload_2018-10-16_21-35-18.png

Attachments

• Checking sequence-161018.txt
    5.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Pixel setup-2018.xlsx
    34.1 KB · Views: 34

Benslights

Dedicated elf
if you are not using the ports on the controller do not even have them in your setup. those nulls can all be deleted. also do not set them up in your controller software also. that should sort your issue. in regard of not being able to go over the 512 in here that is right as it is working off per universe so the next line down you start the next universe number and how many channels are left.

Last edited:

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
For the sake of ease of addressing I'd contemplate assigning each of props to their own universe. 300 channels isn't overly wasteful to use as 1 universe. This would get rid of universe spanning issues that are hard to keep track of. Your matrix will need multiple lines as each line is limited to the maximum universe size of 512 channels. For pixel universes it's normal to limit them to 510 channels as this is divisible by 3. For universes with P10 panels which contain 512 pixels (32x16) by 3 colours then 3 512 channel universes get used for each 1.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Agree with Ben, no need for the Nulls.

Consider each universe as 510 channels (512 for panels) so if you have two lots of 300 (as your spinners left and right are), they will span 2 Universes. So you can either allocate 2 universes (# of Universes in E1.31 Setup box) for those two props or spread them over two universes.

I agree with Alan though and I'd assign each prop to it's own universe (especially if its a high count, eg 300+), unless combined is less than 1 universe (eg one prop 300 ch and one 210).

So this is how I would have done your setup:
channels.PNG

Other people will suggest different methods, but it's what you're comfortable with that counts.
I think maximum number of Universes is something like 999 so it's not that likely you'll run out. :D

Let us know how it goes once you make any relevant changes.

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Forgot to add ... Once you've re-done your Setup you'll need to redo your Layout. Make sure props match Universe numbers etc.